Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am wongering here , my 1997 SE is in perfect condition and runs very good , except that when I park it for a week or more , side stand or center stand it takes a for ever cranking before it starts like the fuel line and carbs are empty .

It’s parked in my garage, there is no fuel leak, no fuel odors,

it’s on batt tender batt is top shape.
It cranks fast for long time ( 4-5 X 30 seconds continu, then VROOOOOM.

If I use it every days it starts like new. Very promptly.

any ideas.........

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Hi
I am wongering here , my 1997 SE is in perfect condition and runs very good , except that when I park it for a week or more , side stand or center stand it takes a for ever cranking before it starts like the fuel line and carbs are empty .

any ideas.........
AFAIK cranking for so long is only a waste of battery; for the pump is energized only for 2 seconds during starting cycle, after motor is running is energized 100%. I'd try give little burts of 2 seconds and see if that gets better.
My 2 cents.
Mario

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
AFAIK cranking for so long is only a waste of battery; for the pump is energized only for 2 seconds during starting cycle, after motor is running is energized 100%. I'd try give little burts of 2 seconds and see if that gets better.
My 2 cents.
Mario
As long as the engine is spinning the fuel pump is running. Either turning under it's own power or via the starter.

·
Premium Member
1991 GL1500 Interstate Cinnamon Beige
500 Posts
If my beast won't start after the first or second short push of the start button, ,I'll flip the choke half down, ,twist the throttle, and the next touch of the start button is VOILA, , its running fine. Ease off the choke to idle at about 1K rpm, , good to go.

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
Hi

any ideas.........
Did you try pumping the throttle several times. If you crank the throttle 5 or 6 times to get some fuel in that dry engine it just might help.

Great minds think alike. Bluthunder and I were typing at the same time. :)

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have tryed many combination choke half or full and also twisting fuel . No change

on every day start it’s half choke and two twist to get accel pump to deliver a bit of fuel but it its been a week our more oufffffff. Specially on spring start up oufffff I will usually boost it to start because it’s take so long it will kill its battery. But after that it’s a charm .

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
At some point in the future, you might consider the modification to the "start circuit" outlined by Erdeniz which puts full power to the coils for easier starting. Its a fairly simple "mod" and will solve most "no start" problems. Another possible "help tip" would be to use Seafoam (2 oz. per gallon) with every fill-up for the next 6 months or so. It has helped my 29 year old beast.

Check this one out;

·
Premium Member
3,744 Posts
Norm, You need to sort out if it is an "electrical" or "fuel" issue.

The next time you try starting it (after it has sat a week or so), check the voltage at the battery posts while the starter is running.

Let us know the voltage level...!!

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
I have tryed many combination choke half or full and also twisting fuel . No change

on every day start it’s half choke and two twist to get accel pump to deliver a bit of fuel but it its been a week our more oufffffff. Specially on spring start up oufffff I will usually boost it to start because it’s take so long it will kill its battery. But after that it’s a charm .
I think it is possible electrical issue but more likely a very small gas leak from the carbs. The leak is so small it will evaporate before it can leak on the floor. Also small enough that the fuel level is still high enough to start the next day.
With that said I would still expect the bike to start in a shorter time than you describe. Is it possible you also have a weak fuel pump or defective vacuum petcock?

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Even if it leaked down the fuel pump should fill the carbs,can you hear the pump running when the key is turned on?

Reactions: redwing52

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it is possible electrical issue but more likely a very small gas leak from the carbs. The leak is so small it will evaporate before it can leak on the floor. Also small enough that the fuel level is still high enough to start the next day.
With that said I would still expect the bike to start in a shorter time than you describe. Is it possible you also have a weak fuel pump or defective vacuum petcock?
WoW you got my a a trace with a defective petcock. I check voltage while starting even with a car battery and cables it would not do better but a stickie petcock hummmmmm mine is 1997 EOM could very well be

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
The '88 and '89's were the only years where the fuel pump would "run" for 2 seconds when the key was turned on. His '97 won't.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
The '88 and '89's were the only years where the fuel pump would "run" for 2 seconds when the key was turned on. His '97 won't.
Huum I just thought all 1500 ran a few seconds to build pressure to the carbs,I’ll stop listening for mine to run,I never heard it run but I’m deaf and wear hearing devices.thanks

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
805 Posts
On '97 fuel pump runs while cranking, but not when you first turn on the key. But if the petcock is iffy and doesn't open good until engine is running and making lots of vacuum then you have a "chicken-and-egg" scenario. Engine won't start because petcock won't open. Petcock won't open because not enuf vacuum while cranking.

As stated earlier try pumping the throttle a few times before cranking to shoot what fuel might still be in the carbs into the intake.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
Even if it leaked down the fuel pump should fill the carbs,can you hear the pump running when the key is turned on?
But not if the petcock is bad, I used to have a hard time starting my bike after it sat all winter. The petcock and I rebuilt it. Now it starts much better after sitting. I think that the petcock can get a vacuum leak that is not real bad and day to day you get by because the carbs do not get low on fuel that fast. It gets enough vacuum in spite of the hole to run fine engine running. If you are cranking the engine with the starter it MIGHT be the vacuum while cranking will not pull it open much because of low vacuum cranking and low fuel levels in the carbs?????? How is that for a definite maybe???:)

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
On '97 fuel pump runs while cranking, but not when you first turn on the key. But if the petcock is iffy and doesn't open good until engine is running and making lots of vacuum then you have a "chicken-and-egg" scenario. Engine won't start because petcock won't open. Petcock won't open because not enuf vacuum while cranking.
Yeah, What Denver said! :)

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
Respectfully disagree. They all work the same. Just the 88 and 89 are controlled by a relay (signaled trigger from the ECM) while the later models use a transistor in the ECM.

·
Premium Member
3,744 Posts
Respectfully disagree. They all work the same. Just the 88 and 89 are controlled by a relay (signaled trigger from the ECM) while the later models use a transistor in the ECM.
Agree........

I have a document that identifies all connections and functions for the 88 - 89 ignition control unit.

The 1988 - 1989 has four (4) connectors related to the ignition control unit.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Hi

any ideas.........
I'm on my 3rd 1500. 2 with over 150,000 miles on them. They all did that. Learn to live with it. After spending over a thousand bucks trying to solve that issue I just gave up. Don't leave the enrichner on. Bump the starter for a second and stop, do it again. If you think after a week is bad. Try over a Winter.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was thinking it was just the gas we have to use these days. My sons will crank for a while after sitting long periods too. I would make sure that there are no vacuum leaks like down under the carbs. And just ride it more.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts