Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Wingers I have a 1992 1500 and have about 30,000 moles on my plugs. Bike runs fine and gas mileage is still decent. Should I change plugs just to conform to the maintenance schedule? What's your thoughts?

WIngrider59

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
New pluds would be an improvement over 30,000 mole plugs.

Scott

·
Administrator
27,886 Posts
Pull 1 or 2 out and look at it, if the edges of the electrodes are rounded off change them.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
The schedule from the manual has you replace them like every 12k miles which is ridiculous. If yours are 21 years old I would say yes replace them, if you have put those miles on in the last year?

Pick a number between 3-5 yrs and one between 30k-50k miles and use it for your OEM plug changes, just do it on a consistent basis. And it never hurts to pull them in between to check for running condition and regapping.

The OEM IIRC does have a platinum tip.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The schedule from the manual has you replace them like every 12k miles which is ridiculous. If yours are 21 years old I would say yes replace them, if you have put those miles on in the last year?

Pick a number between 3-5 yrs and one between 30k-50k miles and use it for your OEM plug changes, just do it on a consistent basis. And it never hurts to pull them in between to check for running condition and regapping.

The OEM IIRC does have a platinum tip.
Thanks for the info

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
Why not...?

Plugs are cheap enough and easy to do...
So I say..If you want to...then do so...

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
Plugs are cheap enough and easy to do...
So I say..If you want to...then do so...

:thumbsup:

Umm which 1500 plugs is easy to do ? The oil drain plug perhaps .Flat 4 family I 'd call easy . Not so much on the 1500 . but thats kust my opinion .

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Easy to do compared to some other tasks on a Goldwing!:ROFL:

T.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
My book actually says to change them every 8000 miles. WAY too often.
Do them if you want to- pulling and inspecting is great, but with that many miles if you are going to pull any you may as well replace them. 6 plugs run only what, $15? I know many run them near forever, but I prefer to replace them every couple years (about 15-20k miles). Your call.
And yes, they are easy. It just takes a few minutes to remove the few pieces of plastic.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
Easy enough..

Umm which 1500 plugs is easy to do ? The oil drain plug perhaps .Flat 4 family I 'd call easy . Not so much on the 1500 . but thats kust my opinion .
Compared to MANY tasks on the plastic covered Wings...changing the spark plugs is pretty simple... There is only a few pieces of plastic to take off to get at them on each side....

As a matter of fact...mine are due to be done soon ....;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
miles showed 40 K when I changed mine recently. ( 89 Gl1500 )
Didn't even need them, clean as a whistle. Of course the po
could have changed them recently. They are a breeze to change
and the basic NGK's are like $2 apiece so cheap insurance.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
And the basic NGK is plenty of plug for it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.