Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:?

Looking for a suggestion or possibly someone has one not is use.

Replaced the front speakers on my 92 Aspy. When I removed the Instrument Panel, found the fine mesh screens have not aged as gracefully as the rest of the bike! They were falling out, and one was completely shreeded-see attachment.

Anyway, have gone to several audio joints, checked on ebay for speakers mounts with the mesh (got emails from salesmen stating they werent attached), and the catalog shows them as part # 38 in the front cover assy with a cost of $36.82 (for 1) !.

So next question is,Do I really need to replace these screens, and if so, does anyone have any ideal on what/where I could find some type of replacement material.

Would appreciate any ideas you might have.

Thanx. Galen

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

You can use some ladies nylons or get some fiberglass window screen material. I'd probably go the latter.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanx Rudy. I bought some silk today at a fabric shop, Thought that might work. I think stockings might be a better idea. your thoughts. Altho I guess it is pretty much the same material?

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Sorry RUdy, read your second suggestion & forgot to address it,Screen sounds even better as it is built for weather abuse.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

If you get weather tight marine grade speakers, you can forget the screen altogether.
That's what I do with mine.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

No, After 28 years in the Artillery, hearing is shot, just needed to replace the speakers that were in there for wear/tear. Think I will go with the screen wire. I got one of the screens put back in ok, but the other one was just shot to hades too much to do anything except take a pix of it!:thumbsdown:

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

I used black sheer curtain material (local thrift shop $2)... Nylons and silks aren't particularly UV tollerant.

a little MEK and a tiny brush can get the fabric nicely fitted into the backs of the grilles.

I was gonna "go without" since the speakers are boat/water friendly, but I seem to collect a good amount of tiny rocks and sand (fits INTO the grille openings but never seems to bounce out) -- Figured the extra effor would keep the 'maraca' rattling to a minimum while adding a little more protection for the new speakers (last ones lasted maybe 20-years -- so 40 for the new protected ones? :cheeky1: )

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

What a plan, Satan!!!

Great idea on the sheer curtain material. :claps: I just finished gluing in screen mesh. Looks really good, however, I only plan on getting 10-20 out of this before I will have to replace the screen. That is ok, since I had to buy a 36"x84" roll, I have enough! Just won't remember what the heck I did with it.

Merry Christams from my house to yours.
Galen: :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
imported post

Told my wife about this and she took me to Joannes Fabric. (I need to do my 1500 as well) and they carry utility cloth aka Speaker cover in Black for only 9.99 a yard. Well me not being a fabric person found out that means you can get a piece as big or as small as you like. I got 1 yard which measures out to be 36" x 62" a lot more than I will need for a while I could have spent $1 and had enough.

:action:

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Your fabric shops are better than mine-or else the customer service personnel know more about what they have. Closest I could get was the wedding veil sheer, and that won't weather well at all.

THanx for the response and Merry Christmas Flash!

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
imported post

I can send you a piece, PM me if you want some.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I went to Joann's Fabrics and found what you got. Printed the webpage-took it back to JoAnns's Fabrics, and showed it to the same gal-she got another service rep-and this one took me straight to it!! Bought 6"x36"-brought it home, cut em out and got it mounted. Really appreciate your heads-up! Now I got a double whammy-speaker fabric and fibreglass screen. Really looks good-ought to last at least as long as Satan's!! I hope it just last another 10-12!! Merry Christmas Flash from my hearth to yours.:bowing:

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
imported post

Your welcome and Merry Christmas back from our family to yours.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.