Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1988 1500-6. last night going home the temp was aroung 28 degrees and about half way home my speedo quits. On my older bikes it would turn out to be the cable, on my 1500 is more advanced than my other bikes----question is could this be the same? Every thing else works.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

More than likely the lube got pretty thick at that temp and the cable broke.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Cruise shouldn't work and AVC on the radio shouldn't work either.
Replace the cable and sheath.
$20 any Honda dealer or cyclemax.com

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Your 1500 isn't rocket-science on wheels. Just seems like it sometimes. ;)

Uses a cable-driven speedo like those from your past. All the same rules apply.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Cruise shouldn't work and AVC on the radio shouldn't work either.
Replace the cable and sheath.
$20 any Honda dealer or cyclemax.com
i didnt think about checking the cruize control because of the roughness of that road. the radio is working though. I know when i rode my 87 voyager the cable broke and the radio quit.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Yes, the radio is working, I'm sure.

AVC = Automatic Volume Control.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
Your 1500 isn't rocket-science on wheels. Just seems like it sometimes. ;)

Uses a cable-driven speedo like those from your past. All the same rules apply.
thanks for the rocket science quote. it is more advanced that anything else that i have riden

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Seems to me that your self cancelling feature will also be lost with your turn signals, when your speedometer cable packs it in.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Seems to me that your self cancelling feature will also be lost with your turn signals, when your speedometer cable packs it in.
+1 - got that T shirt :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
i will check this out when i get home if the snow melts off today. got a dusting last night

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

new speedo cable be here tomarrow..YIPPIE. what all do i have to take apart besides all the plastic on front wheel?

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

when the speedo quite on my '95 gl1500i the cable was good but the plastic gear on the front axle that the cable connects to was strilled.

if you remove the cable from the axle & stick a strait blade screwdriver in the end & spin it. look at the speedo while spinning it & if the needle bounces a little the cable is good & the gear on the axle is the problem.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Are you going to replace the whole cable (Big Job) or just the innards. (5 min job.)

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
imported post

hardest part for me was getting my hand up far enough behind the speedo to thread in the new cable.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

crazzyrman wrote:
when the speedo quite on my '95 gl1500i the cable was good but the plastic gear on the front axle that the cable connects to was strilled.

if you remove the cable from the axle & stick a strait blade screwdriver in the end & spin it. look at the speedo while spinning it & if the needle bounces a little the cable is good & the gear on the axle is the problem.
the inner cable is it 2 pieces the gearbox on the axle is good--jacked up the bike and spun front tire to check gearbox

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
Are you going to replace the whole cable (Big Job) or just the innards. (5 min job.)
gonna replace the whole cable. Been my experince just replacing the inner cable gets ya by for a while because the housing gets damaged from the inner chewing it up

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

readingracer wrote:
rgbeard wrote:
gonna replace the whole cable. Been my experince just replacing the inner cable gets ya by for a while because the housing gets damaged from the inner chewing it up

BINGO! - the inner cable collects moisture and starts to rust, which causes binding.This in turn wears away part of the inner sheathing to overcome the binding and eventually breaks the inner cable (most common speedometer failure, or it strips out the speedometer gear in the front axle [less common]).

A good indication that inner cable is binding and failure is imminent is when you see your speedometer pointer 'twitching'

When you just replace the inner cable after it's broken, or the speedo shows signs of the needle 'twitching', it's false economy to replace (or clean/lube) just the inner cable, as the damage has already been done to the inner sheathing, which collects more water and accelerates wear on the inner cable, resulting in it breaking again, sooner.

Replace the whole assembly ($18) and be done with it.

As a matter of routine, yearly maintenance, and/or every time I have the front wheel removed, I'll pull out the inner cable, clean it off and apply a light coating of a good wheel bearing grease and reinstall it. Takes all of 5 minutes once I have the rotor cover off.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

is there an easy way other than removing the headlight or other stuff. I dont think i have small enough hands to reach up in there.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Take the speedo cable loose from the wheel and let it hang.

Remove the black fairing tray on the left side.
Stand on the left side of the bike facing the back of the bike.
Reach backwards, palm up, under the speedo (ignore the pain of the dash tab digging at your hand).
Unscrew the cable from the speedo. (if you need pliers to loosen it, you can do that by holding the pliers like salad tongs)
Once the speedo cable is detached from the speedo, tie a string to the upper end of the cable.
Pull the cable down from the bottom.
Attach the string to the new cable and pull it back up. Reverse the process.

Takes about 10 minutes and can be done with only a #2 Phillips screwdriver and optionally pliers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.