Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Folks,

My uncle is in town and his speedometer cable broke. Think it's a 1997 GL1500. He was told to pull the headlight but says that provided no access to speedo head. He's also removed a couple of console pieces also to no avail. We were looking last night and wondered if we could get to it through the left speaker. How do we get our mitts on the speedo end of the cable?

Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey scottdaz :waving: Welcome to the best Goldwing Site on the Net. :clapper: You posted that mesg at 15.21hrs and still no answer, :stumped: thats very strange that some "Guru" has not come along this way since then. :crying:Tell your uncle to hold his fire and not too panic one of these experts will solve his problem. :jumper:

I dont know much about :15red:so im no good to him. :crying:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hi scottdaz,

Here's the poop, I just changed my speedo cable (1993 1500) yesterday. No need to pull the headlight. \

1. Take seat off - four allen head screws in grab handle.

2. Take top cover off, two screws at rear of cover, two levers inside tank flap.

3. Remove mirrors.

4. Remove windshield garnish - two screws on ends.

5. Remove windshield.

6. Remove windshield adjustment levers and large screw that holds lever plate andplate.

7. Remove left glove box.

8. Remove left upper air vent - you can reach the lower locking tabs through the glove box hole. Release upper tabs CAREFULLY with small screwdriver or knife blade. Careful these are easily broken.

9. Ditto right upper air vent.

10. Remove instrument panel cover - it should be free on the bottom and it hooks over the top of fairing.

11. Remove four screws in instrument cluster - not the ones that hold the clear plastic, but the four that hold the whole cluster. You can then pull the cluster out enough to unscrew the speedo cable.

12. Pull off the cover on the left side of the front fender just behind the fork tube.

13. Remove the left rotor cover - three screws.

14. Remove the speedo cable - one phillips screw.

15. Route the speedo cable and connect the lower end first, that way the tab will be easier to line up without putting a strain on it. Connect the top end and reassemble.

I might have left out a step or two, but that's the general drift. When putting the windshield release levers back on, you can hold the assembly from dropping partway back in by slipping a screwdriver blade through a hole in the fairing and supporting the assembly from the rear. Don't worry it will be obvious.

It's a lot easier to change a speedo cable on REDWING's Honda 50. Poor fellow, thinks he's riding an 1800, but we humor him. Good thing he's got Shep as his thinking brain dog.:waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Hey scottdaz :waving: Welcome to the best Goldwing Site on the Net. :clapper: You posted that mesg at 15.21hrs and still no answer, :stumped: thats very strange that some "Guru" has not come along this way since then. :crying:Tell your uncle to hold his fire and not too panic one of these experts will solve his problem. :jumper:
Hey REDWING some of us spent the day out on our :15red:and just got home!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Hey exavid :waving: No excuses please. :whip: A "Guru" must always be on duty on this forum 24hrs a day, :stumped: that was the conditions when you recieved this promotion. :crying:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
exavid wrote:
Hey exavid :waving: No excuses please. :whip: A "Guru" must always be on duty on this forum 24hrs a day, :stumped: that was the conditions when you recieved this promotion. :crying:

Mea culpa! Mea culpa maxima! I will try to do better in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.