Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

can anyone give me some info on why my speedometer has stopped working? the cable seems to be fine. if i turn the cable with a screwdriver i can get a blip on the speedo but thats it. the turn signals will not cancel and the radio volumn will not adjust to my speed. help! e mail me if you have ideas [email protected]

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Hopefully someone will be on shortly with some things to look at.

Good luck with it

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

check the gearbox at the front wheel. might be damaged cuz it uses plastic gears, lift the front end, spin the wheel and see if works.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Like William said, if it won't work when you spin the wheel then the wheel sender is bad.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Hey, neighbor! Welcome to the Forum!

I'd suspect the speedo gearbox is the problem with the speedo and auto volume. Auto volume takes its cue from the speedo gearbox. Self canceling signals probably do to - at least that's my guess.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

The cable could still be broken - the ragged ends will still produce a blip when the cable is spun but when spun fast will just ride on top of its other half.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Doubtful the cable is the culprit since the Auto Volume runs on a separate wire coming off the speed sensor.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
imported post

On my 1500 it was the gearbox. You can use a flat blade bit on a reversible drill and turn the cable to see if the speedo works. The plastic gear is about 28 dollars. It can also be a speedo cable that doesn't turn very easy that can take out the plastic gear.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Hey, I don't have a Goldwing, but I was referred here from Google...

I have a CX500C & the gearbox seems to be wonky. I replaced the speedo cable (which had twisted until it split) & we've played with the cable to realize the speedo actually works... however, once we had the bike on a stand, we saw that the gearbox only moves the speedo in the REVERSE direction!

Anyone know about this? Do I just need to replace the gearbox, or is there a simple way to make it work the CORRECT way?

Thanks for any input! I'm hoping this is reaches some still-active members!!

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

Do you have the correct Speedo and or wheel /Speedo drive box?

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
imported post

licotto wrote:
Hey, I don't have a Goldwing, but I was referred here from Google...

I have a CX500C & the gearbox seems to be wonky. I replaced the speedo cable (which had twisted until it split) & we've played with the cable to realize the speedo actually works... however, once we had the bike on a stand, we saw that the gearbox only moves the speedo in the REVERSE direction!

Anyone know about this? Do I just need to replace the gearbox, or is there a simple way to make it work the CORRECT way?

Thanks for any input! I'm hoping this is reaches some still-active members!!
You may get better (quicker)answers for your CX500 questions on this forum...

These folks are THE experts on the CX500....

http://cx500forum.com/

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
imported post

If you end up needing a cable, I have one in the f/s section I just listed this morning.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,279 Posts
imported post

Are you saying the gear doesn't turn when the wheel is rolling forwards, but does turnwhen it's rolling backwards?

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Yeah, that's exactly what happens! It was the craziest thing my buddy & I had seen! LOL

We can spin the wheel backwards & it kicks the speedo dial up, but forwards it just sits there... Any ideas?

(also, @Wingsconsin thanks for the cx500 forum link! I'll be checking over there now too!!)

@Mike -I have a brand new cable already, but thank you!!!

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

yes, it is a new to me bike...but the speedo worked at some point cuz it reads 47k+ miles. hahaha

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

First of all welcome to the Forum.

I can tell you from experiance that it is probably the gear box on the lext side front axle. There is a nylon gear in there that wears out. I believe it was about $20 for the part. I had mine replaced last year. Might as well spend another $20 or so bucks and replace the speedo cable at the same time if you can afford it.

Once Speedo quits working you will lose the cancel on your turn signals, radio volume and Cruise control.

Good Luck,
Parman :action:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

I WISH my bike was nice enough to have auto-cancel, radio, & cruise control! hahaha

I have a new speedo cable already, so I'll just try to find a gearbox somewhere... any advice on good and/or inexpensive places to get these old parts? I found some parts on ebay's motors website, but I thought maybe there could be an online parts store that could help as well...??

Thanks for the welcome & especially for all the help!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.