Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting a spoiler on got it mounted has a loom on it but where oh where does the wire go as it is hooked to the left side near the hinge with a metal clip the has a length of loom that I can not find where it goes to. I have the seat off but I see nowhere to attach it to. A photo of the trunk open showing the loom direction and one of where it ends up would be great. I have looked for 2 hours now I have had enough so can someone help me out. Thank you in advance hope I don't go crazy.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,908 Posts

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
Hi spider007.......
If you are adding a lighted spoiler to a non-SE wing. I do not believe the main wire harness has a provision to plug the white male connector you have on the end of your spoilers loom. My 1500 was a non-SE model, and I added a spoiler w/the LED light strip. I looked all over as well and found nothing. I had to cut off the male connector, soldered and shrink wrapped a wire extension. I ran my wire through the inside perimeter of the trunk neatly, and spliced into the left trunk brake light circuit. (or any brake light circuit you choose to go to) My spoiler light works as brake only.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is a two wire with a small plug on the end that I can't find the mate to it under the seat that is my problem so far no answer

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
Dd you remove the trunk lid inner liner? You may find the connector under there.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no liner 1989 Aspencade Must be hiding under the trunk last place to look

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I believe that the connection is under the trunk pan...remove the four screws and look under the trunk. Not at home to look at mine at the moment...

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
The spoiler is a great place to use a brake flasher. After seeing how well the one on my friend's '91 SE works at grabbing the attention, I decided to install one on my '98 SE. Bought a BackOff XP. Spent hours trying to get it to work. Finally called the company and found the late 1500s only send 5v to the spoiler LEDs and the BackOff needs 12v. Next easiest thing to do was connect the module to the Trunk brake lights, which I did. Not quite as happy with that arrangement, but it's better than not having a flasher. Didn't want wig-wag or any other combination of flashing as this might only confuse drivers behind as to what's going on. In the mode I chose the BackOff flashes 5 times then goes to steady-on.

ANYTHING to keep someone from smacking me in traffic is worth the effort.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
I just installed the Back-Off XP on my 94 1500SE also. I connected mine like Dusty Boots described in his posting on how he did his. I used the mode where it flashes 5 times then on steady until you release the brake. I connected mine where it flashes all the brake lights... bags, trunk and spoiler. It grabs your attention from behind the bike when you get on the brakes.
Here is the link to Dusty's post on how to install one.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...ling-devices-increase-your-road-presence.html

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
On my 98 Aspencade I didn't have to remove the trunk. If I remember correctly (with the seat off) I ran the wire down the top inside of the trunk and through the opening in the hinge. It then was connected to a plug (once again this is from memories about 8 years ago) the was on the left side under the seat as you sit on the bike.

It is a small plug and it may be a companion plug with another along side it.

I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Spent hours trying to get it to work. Finally called the company and found the late 1500s only send 5v to the spoiler LEDs and the BackOff needs 12v.
ANYTHING to keep someone from smacking me in traffic is worth the effort.[/QUOTE]

I too have a '98 SE and I too had trouble with a rear brake flasher. In this case I installed Kisan Tailblazer and was unhappy when I discovered it wouldn't flash. Called Kisan and one of there engineers told me the same - that the flasher required somewhere in the upper range of 12 volts............but did not tell me that the late models only put 5 volts to the spoiler leds and I cannot comment on the veracity of that information for other 1500's.

Turns out my stator was unable to provide sufficient voltage at idle for the flasher but in motion where the stator was putting out more, worked just fine.

Some time later, when I installed a Compufire the Tailblazer worked fine as the Compufire puts out sufficient voltage at idle.

However, if the bike is not running.............no joy. Have to remind myself to crank up my bike when testing my lighting!

T.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Tnoort:

By the time I called the BackOff tech supt I'd found that the spoiler LEDs were only receiving 5v. I commented to the guy that it seems they could mention the exception in their literature with the Wings being one of the most common 2-wheelers on the road. He said only the late 1500s were wired that way. I didn't want all the lights to flash and he's the one who suggested connecting the module to the trunk lights. Nice folks BTW.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.