Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

1992 gl500 SE, 44,000 miles.Been on trip to Cornwall,got up yesterday and bike wouldn't start. Made a clunking noise at first, now starter spins but engine doesn't turn. Any ideas?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Probably need to pull the starter and clean it out. The brushes wear and leave dust which clog up the works. Or get a push down a hill.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks,I was going to do that. Tried to push start it but failed. Anything else it could be?

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

It should start with a push. The starter motoer internal gears could be stripped, meaning only part of the starter is turning over.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

When you tried to push-start the bike, did the wheel and engine turn fairly easily as would be expected?

(if things turned as expected) Did you notice a strong fuel odor as you tried to push-start?

(my thoughts are going toward a hydro-lock, but I'm hoping for other).

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

Hopefully it will prove just to be the starter but you could check that the engine will turn normally (as it's not bump starting) by using a socket on the crank with the plugs out. If all normal then go for the starter. It will cost nothing to find out and at least you will know.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

was it parked up in any heavy rain etc it sounds like hydrolock and your starter has given up the ghost. is there fluid in the pots dont try and bump untill you check. if you take the spark plugs out and turn it over or push the wheel round ( in gear). have you any contanimate in the oil

the starter by the way is easy to fix did mine about a month ago.

andy

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Yes, it was out in very heavy rain.Have taken plugs out and you are right,full of liquid.I can,t turn the back wheel in gear, got battery on charge over night and will try in morning. Fingers crossed I havn't damaged anything trying to bump start it.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

i had the exact same with mine i had a aa man pushing her up a hill 3 times trying to bump start and didnt do any dammage thank god any way if the starter is fried at least it is an easey fix but if the starter is spinning you may have done the starter final cog that pins the reverse cogon the rear of the engine take the starter out and have a look the how to do is on here.

i bench tested mine by using the bty +v cable (removed) and the body earth to the bty -ve terminal. if you have a vice use it as it is very strong but at lease you can inspect the cog at the end and see if it spins.

if it doesnt then youmight have done the reverse cog in the engine and that means engine out! hope fully not and it is the starter motor good luck

andy

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

Glad you are on the way to sorting it now. Don't forget to check your oil level and smell it. I would be inclined to change it and the petcock before starting it up again.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Not there yet.Hooked battery up, but engine won't turn over.Starters sound like its trying.Started to take starter off for a look but cant get at the lower bolt.Will have to get a slimline 12mm socket I think.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

it is one size down from the other two odley enough if you have small hands it is easier. small spanner did mine and gnashing of teeth i got it off

before you take it off have you taken all the spark plugs out and tried do that before as there ill be no compresion and also it will get rid of the water out of the pots

when you get the starter back in if you take it off DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO NIP THE STARTER TIGHT WITH THE BOLTS! PUT THE BIKE IN REVERSE AND ROCK THE BACK WHEEL AND IT WILL FALL INTO PLACE IF YOU JUST FORCE IT, IT WILL BRAKE SOMETHING BAD ( the reverse cog that means engine out) sorry to shout but it is so important

andy

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I think you said something about a clunking noise also?

When you pull the starter look in the engine to see if the small gear in there has missing teethe also! I hope not, but look!

Have you checked if reverse works? It's ran from the starter also.

My 88 1500 has the small gear, starter idler gear, broke so starter just spins free and does not try to turn engine to start. However Reverse on mine still works fine.

In my research about this I found Hydoloc can be one of the reasons that little gear breaks off teeth. Engine locked and too much torque from the starter. I guess that could be how mine got busted, I bought it that way.

If the gear is broke it's an engine out job so I hope it's not broke. The cheapest place to buy the gear I found was my local Honda dealer, I found out after I bought online for more. Only about $26 from the dealer I asked.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Thanks for the advice guys. So the bottom bolt is the one I can see and is 11mm, not 12mm. Reverse doesn't work,it sounds ominous.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Reverse shouldn't work without the engine running...
... don't borrow more worries there mate ;)

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Thanks to everyone who's offered advice. Here's an update, got starter out without much problem and its ok. Bad news is there are teeth missing from at least two of the cogs inside the engine. F***, that means engine out. I guess I'll be after more advice. Robbir

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

sorry to hear about that at least it happened in winter ish goodluck

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.