Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

:lash:when i start up some time {twice now) starter sticks burns selenoid up dealer put new selenoid on it dide fine for about 1 month then same thing getting expensive

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum beetle
Try cleaning your starter. There are instructions in the GW workshop section of the main menu of the forum.
Also clean your start button switch with electrical contact cleaner.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

i'm in the start button needing cleaning mode

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

I would tend to think, because it happens with the key off, that the starter is drawing too much and is contact welding the points in the solinoid. All the other stuff, the start button, etc, is all taken out of the picture with the key off. The only thing in the picture is the solinioid and the stater. IT can't be anything else as they are not in the circuit with the key off.

Tom

·
Administrator
27,914 Posts
imported post

TomStark wrote:
I would tend to think, because it happens with the key off, that the starter is drawing too much and is contact welding the points in the solinoid. All the other stuff, the start button, etc, is all taken out of the picture with the key off. The only thing in the picture is the solinioid and the stater. IT can't be anything else as they are not in the circuit with the key off.

Tom
Exactly, a man who thinks before he posts.:claps:

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
TomStark wrote:

Tom
Thank you, I have my moments!:thumbsup:

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
imported post

TomStark wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:
TomStark wrote:

Tom
Thank you, I have my moments!:thumbsup:
Exactly, Where have you been Tom, we always need a good engine man here.:smiler:

edit: it was in the second line of header.

JD

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

Well JD, I run a retail store with my son, I have a side business that I run in my garage fabricating parts for hot rods and such, I play drums in a jazz band, and I just got into remission from a still as of yet incurable cancer, and take part in several internet support groups for peoplewith similar cancers helping them out as they are also help me out,but other than that, I really don't do much! LOL

Always feel free to contact me if you think I can be of help with something. I used to work as an engine builder and machinest for both Booth Arons Engines and Dart Heads, so I do have a little exprerience. Just I typically have to respond to people who contact me because I often just don't have as much time to look at forums as I would like.

God Bless

Tom

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
imported post

TomStark wrote:
Well JD, I run a retail store with my son, I have a side business that I run in my garage fabricating parts for hot rods and such, I play drums in a jazz band, and I just got into remission from a still as of yet incurable cancer, and take part in several internet support groups for peoplewith similar cancers helping them out as they are also help me out,but other than that, I really don't do much! LOL

Always feel free to contact me if you think I can be of help with something. I used to work as an engine builder and machinest for both Booth Arons Engines and Dart Heads, so I do have a little exprerience. Just I typically have to respond to people who contact me because I often just don't have as much time to look at forums as I would like.

God Bless

Tom
I took notice of your tagline long ago and was hoping nothing happened to you.

JD

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

Thanks. It was found by accident, and I was getting ready to start chemo, and said to my Dr "Let's map this out well, I don't want to be out of options 20 years from now." (you can only get 8 doses of any chemo lifetime as the chemo after 8 doses does mroe harm than good, and onlyso many chemos will go after this cancer sothe number of treatments is limited.) And she rather eloquently told me 20 years from now was not a concideration for me. No one can say for sure, but she was thinking 5, 10, 15 years. She then showed me a study, (I was WELL aware of) from 1992 giving me a 51% chance of surviving 10 years. Knew right then I needed a new Dr. Yeah, I am going to hang my hat on 20 year old data in a fast changing feild! LOL! I educated myself, and knew the treatment I wanted, and by the Grace of God found a clinical trial for it within 50 miles of my home. I went from stage 4 cancer with 10 to 15% bone marrow involvement to cancer free in 42 days! I did a fund rasier to raise money and awareness of blood cancer and that had more side effects than the cancer or the treatment! LOL! I still have the genetic marker for lymphoma, but they do not know if that causes the lymphoma, is caused by the lymphoma, or if it is one of several things that happens to cause the lymphoma. All they do know is it is not an indicator of my chances, meaning even though I still have that genetic defect, I can live a very long time. My new Dr says he can't make any promises, but sees no reason I can't live to be an old man. I told him I better or he won't get paid! LOL! There are at least 6 people who got the treatement I did back in 1996 who are still cancer free. I am hoping to make it at least 7! Even if I only get the average remission from this treatment, that is still 6.6 years, and I still have all my options open to me, so unless something unexpected happens, I have a VERY good prognosis.

Thank you for caring!

God Bless

Tom

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
imported post

And god bless you.

I noticed a trend a few years ago and that was my Dr. and dentist would be retired when I will need them most in my old age.

I chose younger Docs now so they would be around to warranty their work when I am old and feeble and have a bargaining chip as to the bill.:smiler: It has worked with the dentist so far.:ROFL:

JD

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
imported post

I am a chip of the old block. While my elderly dad was seeing a cardiologist at age 82 regarding his soon to be done bypass surgery my mom and dad were in his office discussing the procedure.

The old man disagreed with the doc and told him his other Dr. had advised him otherwise. When the doc asked who the other doc was my old man said it was the dogs vet.:ROFL: The doc took my old mans file and tossed it into his trash barrel. No lie, my mom witnessed it all. He did get the bypass surgery done before it was too late.:smiler:

JD

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

Too funn JD, the warranty! I tell people "if you have kids, buy the extended warranty! the standard 50 year one is not long enough. My wife and I hit 50 and things came appart! She got blood clots and has to give herself daily blood thinner shots, and has arthuritis, I have arthuritis, dislocated both shoulders, got cancer, yeah, get the extended warranty!

LOL! God Bless you cause He is Blessing the daylights out of me! (actually is, very happy!)

Tom

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

TomStark wrote:

Tom
On my 1500 this happened and once the starter was spinning it kept spinning evenafter I turnedthe key off, first i tried to clean behind the button with contact cleaner, that only worked for a few weeks, then it happened again, I took the button apart and cleaned the contacts (they were coroded) has not happened again, and that was in the spring of this year.

·
Administrator
27,914 Posts
imported post

wjw wrote:
TomStark wrote:

Tom
On my 1500 this happened and once the starter was spinning it kept spinning evenafter I turnedthe key off, first i tried to clean behind the button with contact cleaner, that only worked for a few weeks, then it happened again, I took the button apart and cleaned the contacts (they were coroded) has not happened again, and that was in the spring of this year.
Pure coincidence, no way can the start button cause the solenoid to stick with the key off. And besides corroded connections make it even less likely than the impossible.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.