Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am new to the GW world and have recently purchased a well used 89 w/about 120kmiles on it.
I've noticed, what I think is, an odd quirk that's other folks likely have experience with.

The bike will not start in gear. Has to be in neutral. Sidestand up, sidestand down, clutch in or out--HAS TO BE IN NEUTRAL.
That just doesn't seem right to me.

The sidestand switch is operational. If I stop in gear and place the stand down it kills the engine.

Any idea where to start?

BTW--I'm going to be doing a fair amount of maintenance work soon due to the unknown history.

Plan on doing:
Timing belts & tensioner bearings
Coolant drain, flush and fill
Plugs
Check all hoses
Change rear diff fluid
Check all braking systems--new fluid at the least
Air cleaner
Check wheel bearings and 'head' bearings--likely replace all of those this winter.
Oil was just changed...
Adjust:
brakes
levers
throttle cables
bars--are they adjustable? Would like not so much 'pullback'

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

Don't know much about the 1500s, except for the basic rules of all internal combustion engines (carbureted), but my 1200 (and others) has a switch in the clutch lever ass'y, that allows me to start (restart in traffic) while in gear...could be that switch is defective? :baffled: :waving:

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
imported post

Your bike should start in gear with the side stand up and the clutch lever pulled all the way to the hand grip.

If it doesn't, the most likely cause is the micro switch at the clutch lever.

Do this.........

Pull the clutch lever in slowly, you should here a click right away, that's the cruise switch, as the clutch lever gets to the hand grip, you should here a 2nd click, that's the micro switch that allows the bike to start in gear.

It you don't hear the 2nd click, it could be because you have aftermarket hand grips and they don't allow the clutch lever to be pulled in far enough.

I would do the following, remove the micro switch (one screw), you have to look up from the bottom of the bike (under the clutch level) to see it.

Use some very fine Emory cloth and clean the contacts in the micro switch.

If that works.......good.

If it doesn't work, then the micro switch is probably bad.

By the way, there are two wires on that switch, if you remove them and jump across the wires, the bike should start. This just bypasses the switch. I would only do this as a test.

When this happened to my '99 Gold Wing, it was dirty contacts in the micro switch. Cleaning them with Emory cloth resolved the problem.

Some might say check the brass bushing at the clutch lever but I seriously doubt that's the problem.

The handlebars are adjustable (up and down).

Been doing maintenance on GL1500's since 1993.

If you want any more info........shoot me an e-mail at: [email protected]

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

As FenderHead stated, there is a micro switch on the clutch that needs to be engaged if the bike is in gear before the starter will go. There is a second micro switch that is tied into the cruise control so that if the clutch is pulled in the cruise will disengage. The switches rub down after a while and cost about $20 to $30 each. A quick solution is to epoxy a small piece of alum. to the clutch lever to help the switch engage. The right way is to replace the switch.

You are correct in that the bike will stall if in gear with the side stand is down. Keeps youu from moving with the side stand down.

I have not tried to adjust the bars, but I beleive some adjustment is allowed.

A member named Rudy has developed an excellant work instruction for changing timing belts. You should find it with a forum search. Off hand, I can not think of anything to add to your list for maintenance.

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
imported post

I have not tried to adjust the bars, but I beleive some adjustment is allowed.

I have adjusted the handlebars on several Gold Wing's. It's easy, remove the ignition key cover, remove the center cover on the handlebars and loosen four bolts.

Off hand, I can not think of anything to add to your list for maintenance.

I would also change the fuel filter and the sub air filter.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
imported post

HI:
Minedevelopedhabit of not startingin gear, no matter how hardclutch lever pulled in. Changed lever microswitch; all was well again[old switch hardly clicked at all; after all it was 14+ yrs. old].
On your PM list, you might addrear swingarm bearings. Have '95; just checked mine. They were almost dry. Really good cleaning, lots ofnew grease, correct preload torque and all's well again there, too. My 2 cents.....Old Tom

P. S. Don't forget auxiliary air filter/cruise filter/rear shock compressor filter, if your Wing is so equipped.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I'll add that stuff to my list.
Thanks!

Keep those suggestions coming...

I'll go out and listen for my clicks, or lack thereof, in the clutch lever.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

This ole bike does have some fatty grips on it.
If I pull that clutch lever EXTRA tight, it works as advertised.

Now to find some different handlebars that don't 'turn back' so far...

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
imported post

henerythe8th wrote:
This ole bike does have some fatty grips on it.
If I pull that clutch lever EXTRA tight, it works as advertised.

Now to find some different handlebars that don't 'turn back' so far...
Glad you got the problem sorted out.....!

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Hello I have the same problem but the switch is ok... I tried to bypass it but the bike wont start anyway.... there is some switch into the engine for the neutral?
Thanks
Andrea

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Hello I have the same problem but the switch is ok... I tried to bypass it but the bike wont start anyway.... there is some switch into the engine for the neutral?
Thanks
Andrea
Does the switch Click, when you pull in the clutch lever? ...if not, then the switch may not be properly activated (due to aftermarket lever).

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I had the same problem on my '77, wouldn't start in gear with clutch pulled. The neutral switch and clutch switch worked but there were some bad connections to a diode that, once cleaned, starter worked as it should.

Are there any electrical schematics for the 1500 located here?

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
The ground to activate (trigger) the starter relay A and B on the GL1500 passes through the reverse diode assembly. This applies to starting in neutral and starting in gear with the clutch pulled in.

I know this is an old thread, but I am responding to a recent post.

I had the same problem on my '77, wouldn't start in gear with clutch pulled. The neutral switch and clutch switch worked but there were some bad connections to a diode that, once cleaned, starter worked as it should.

·
Pwhoever
3,237 Posts
I just wanted to comment about adjusting the handlebars. Yes there is a bit of adjustment but be careful about adjusting them too far down or up. Too far down and they will catch on the top shelter (radio surround) and it will be difficult to rotate the handlebars far enough. Too far forward and they will connect with the windshield on turns and also not be able to rotate enough. Either way, not good and because the turning radius is limited, you won't be able to turn the handlebars far enough to get the steering to lock. Something to keep in mind.

ETA: DOHHH!!! I didn't notice how old this thread was. I hate when I get caught by that. Thanks DBohrer for mentioning that...

·
Premium Member
100 Posts

Hello roadkill what do you mean? Which diode? I tested again the switch but it works, I shortcutted the 2 wire of the switch and the bike wont start.... only one time happend I hear the engine trying to start but only one time and never happened again....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.