Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It's been awhile since I posted, anyway I took the bike off the road in March and decided a few weeks ago to start it.
I have been charging the battery on and off during the winter and in recent months but the battery was getting past it's due date. Been running now for three years or so!

Last week it started reluctantly and I took it for a short ride, intended to get gas at 1.10 a litre but forgot. When I got back to the house I tried reverse but it didn't 'feel' right a bit sluggish so never mind just rolled it backwards into the carport.

Came out later to restart and just the solenoid clicked. I thought well maybe the battery is a bit low and charged it overnight, checked it.. just clicked, battery at 100%.

At the time I just decided to leave it and take off the Tupperware and clean some stuff up, side stand stiff and reverse lever stiff and reassemble and tried the old starter again.. I bought a new battery, a glass matt thingy and charged it and popped it into the machine. Just clicked! I wiggled a few wires checked the cables, checked all the connectors clean as a bug in a rug, fuses all squeaky clean, nothing just clicked.

I tried putting it in top and pushed it in gear backwards and forwards and then put it back into neutral and it started right up after a few presses of the starter button. I let it run for a few minutes to clear out the cobwebs, rats etc.

I switched it off.. pressed the button and just clicked..

So it looks like the brushes are worn in the starter motor. It happened all of a sudden in a way, after all it was working just fine before I laid it up..

I looked at Steve's video and all looks really easy to do but he does mention it needed brushes! Any hints on soldering new ones in?

Do you need to replace the bearings and seal at the same time? Rebuild kit, any suggestions

Thanks

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The problem could be your starter switch or one of the starting relays. Stick a volt meter on the starter's battery terminal and hit the switch. If you see 10V or more the problem is in the starting circuit wiring, relays or switch. If you see less than 10V disconnect the starter cable and with the volt meter on the loose end of the cable check the voltage with the starter button pressed. If you see 12V the problem is in the starter, if not it's in the circuitry or starter switch.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

When I press the starter I hear what sounds like a double click

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Perhaps try jumping the bike using a good car battery... That way you could tell if the bike's battery is dead.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

New battery

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks Exavid, will try tonight