Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have been having a problem starting my 94- 1500. I get no spark while turning over the engine as soon as I let off the starter button it fires.

Thinking of getting a new battery even though it cranks good but will not crank for a long time.

Has anyone had this problem?

any other fixes?

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

Your battery is probably on the way out, pretty common deal for starting,mine starts that way and has for years.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
imported post

wheels2a wrote:
I have been having a problem starting my 94- 1500. I get no spark while turning over the engine as soon as I let off the starter button it fires.

That's normal start operation for a 1500; almost the first thing my dealer told me about when I bought mine--you can crank all day but it won't fire until you release the starter button. And yup, it came with a new battery...

Smile and enjoy the ride:waving:

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,671 Posts
imported post

If you install a Compufire alternator, and the recommended battery, it will start while cranking.

The increased battery voltage is what does the trick.

The 1500s are sensitive to low voltage while cranking.

My bike was no different, crank it until you know it is rolling over good (about 1-2 seconds) and release. Then it is running.

Do that without the choke, add choke as needed for idle speed. Choke = fuel enrichment device. It ain't a choke plate.

Adds fuel and raises the throttle a tad.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,911 Posts
imported post

Must be something wrong with my 93. She fires while cranking even with battery a little low. :?

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

I just replaced the battery and all is well.

Starts while cranking the motor over.

Must be a low voltage problem when the battery is old.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

thats normal...also mine does that...if it doesnt start you got problems...for a 94 you might want to clean out/check the starter...ive never had to even look at mine...91 int

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
imported post

I would just like to say thanks to jkycks this is tied to your forum talk on the start/revers switch . You see I was having the same problem for a while with my wing a varry hesitent start . I had priced out a new handle switch 125.00 . Then by axe dent I read over what you put together on this forum and how to take the switch handle a part . Clean and stretch the little switch springs. I put it back together .Wow !!! what a difference . Starts as quick as you can snap your fingers. :action: Thanks again jkycks.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

hey!....you learn sompin new everyday...cool!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.