Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Update

Friday I finished the ignition mod; I would say that normally she was starting fairly good before; but now it fires like it’s flying out, I’m really happy with it when tested in the garage.

I believe that we have to give some credit to those Japs that designed this machine, even when they didn’t prevent the fact that we’ll be using them 30 or more years after, LOL. The GL’s were good designed but time is deadly thing on humans as well as in machines, they’re no exceptions.

I agree with you about keeping modifications at the minimum, but as I look the schematic I believe the ECM is just grounding the coils to fire the plugs and mod at C54 wouldn’t affect anything.
Yesterday I went out (even with some drizzle) riding for lunch to a friend place with other 25 GL’s, and many of them were interested in this mod, so the bike took many starts up as they stand around and tried by themselves, it would fire really fast.

The surprise was that one SE ’96 with original wiring (no Mods at all) was firing just as fast and good as mine. This makes me conclude that age isn’t the same for everyone, LOL.

When I’ve had all TP stripped and wiring at sight, with fully charged battery I took some readings hooking a VOM between 55 A. fuse and low side of C54, turning the key ON it showed a voltage drop of 1.1 V, and during cranking the reading was 3.4 V; which means an astonishing 30% voltage drop.

Of course this is in my bike, which perhaps has aged more than others ROLOF.
If I ever find any more details (either good or bad) I’ll be posting them.

I hope this may help some others, should any of you have doubts, please don’t hesitate and call me.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
I'm having a minor issue with finding where the C54 connector is in relation to C57. If C57 is on the right side near the fan, is C54 also on that "connector bar"? Anyone have pictures of where C54 is located?

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Thanks DBohrer, , ,

Help me to get this through my lil pea-brain, , , ,

That white connector has a "male" (plug) and a "female"(socket). I need to cut the Blk/whi wire on the "male" (plug) side and connect it to the "trigger" side of the relay, , then I need to cut the Blk/whi wire on the "female" (socket) side and connect it to the 12V "power" side so the 12v from the battery is sent to the coils AFTER the ignition is on (which powers the "trigger" side) and closes the contacts for the 12volts to flow.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts