Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
24,395 Posts
anyone know where this vacuum hose with green tag goes on thegl-1500 I engine #3
That goes from the plastic nipple on the left side bottom of the air box to a T next to the PAIR solenoid valve on the left side of the frame.

How long will the engine run before it dies? And are you sure it's running out of fuel and not loosing ignition?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
starts the immediately dies, the won't restart. fuel new fuel pump you can hear it run and the terminal on top is hot. just added 2.5gal fuel. ho do i trouble shoot loose ignition?new relays 2 months ago and new fuses. i put diaelectric grease on then. bike ran geat 2 months then just died. i changed a newly installed fuel pump and got it to run 4 miles home. after i shut it off . i have this problem. thanks for the help lb the fuel shutoff valve is a new OEM one and has run ok. it is getting vacuum when you crank the eng. so i eliminated it and have same problem. whe the orginial ECU quit giving fuel, o ordered another used one with 37k. and it didn't provide fuel, so i did the hot wire of the fuel pump. that worked good for 2 months. ridden daily 8 miles or so.started with no choke help .in the am i might swap back to my ECU

·
Administrator
24,395 Posts
If you have a timing light connect it then start the engine while holding the trigger on the light and see if you can tell if the flashing stops before the engine stops turning. The try starting it again and watch for the light to flash. If you don't have a timing light pull 1 plug wire and attach a spark plug to it, lay it on the engine and do the same test.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
got a induction one thanks pumped old gas out and put in non-alcohol gas w/seafoam.will crank it in am.done
FRIDAY AM i'm getting spark on all 6 cylinders
changed ecu no help
ECU 2A is hot w/key on
pulled plugs looked good/ not fouled. dry

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
i took the ECU out and installed the original ecu. just cranked no start. si i put the used bought ECU in , and the bike will start and run if you keep it above 2k rpm. when you let off it will slow down and die.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
i've road the bike 2 months without any problems. ya can;t seem to get a good one off of ebay. i did put a 5 amp fuse and a on-off toggle switch in-line with the fuel pump so i can shut it off when i need to

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
still won't idle . so you can't take it out and ride it.it will run if you rev it constantly. gave it a good carb cleaner spray while i had it running put a can of BG44K cleaner in front and rear tank. warmed it up till temperature came up. it will now idle at 2k and if you slowly throttle off it will slowly die. shut it off and let it cool off overnight

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
bike run great. starts without choke. looks like it was the ECU needed to be reset. seeing how it doesn't have a reset button you have to disconnect it. i put the original ECU in and the bike would crank but not start. put the

extra ecu back in that i've had it in for 6 months and it started immediately. had to keed it above 2k with the throttle lock on, i let it run for 5 min. shut it off. and now it starts and idles at 1000 rpm. thats where i like it with this heavy trike.

·
Administrator
57,492 Posts
IIRC,
to calibrate the ECM, you need to start the bike, let it run at idle until the fans turn on.

shut it down, wait a minute, start it back up, and it should idle correctly.
how that would work on a carb'ed bike, don't know.

I know the 1800 has that procedure, can't recall on the 1500, but I am thinking that I had to do that on my 98 when I got it, it did not want to idle right.

·
Administrator
24,395 Posts
IIRC,
to calibrate the ECM, you need to start the bike, let it run at idle until the fans turn on.

shut it down, wait a minute, start it back up, and it should idle correctly.
how that would work on a carb'ed bike, don't know.

I know the 1800 has that procedure, can't recall on the 1500, but I am thinking that I had to do that on my 98 when I got it, it did not want to idle right.
A 1500 ECU is what it is, there is no calibrating or resetting to it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
yea, the only way to reset it is to
disconnect the battery
, disconnect the ECU

wait a bit the plug it back in.

·
Administrator
24,395 Posts
yea, the only way to reset it is to
disconnect the battery
, disconnect the ECU

wait a bit the plug it back in.
There is no battery power to it when the ignition is off. If it was resetable it would do it every time you shut it off.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
good to know. thanks lbi recomend useing a tooth pick in the 2 jets becaust one of the jets doesn't stick up very much so there's a danger of the rubber cap popping off.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
used the rear tank the other day till it stumbled then switched to front tank. no idle is 500 rpm. so i just took the covers off no i can spray the carb and change the fuel filter again.its really hard to get it off line as its a heavy trike, ans can't seem to throttle it to 1000 rpm.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Tried By-Passing the Fuel Shutoff?... so as to rule out an intermittent vacuum loss (which would shut off fuel supply)

Also might verify that the Rubber Isolators (1 between each carb and the Intake Manifold) are tight... The screw clamps (2 on each isolator) commonly loosen, causing an air leak and resulting Lean Condition

21 - 39 of 39 Posts