Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys , good to be back. I haven't posted since April , family health trouble .almost lost my special needs son after colon cancer surgery. all is good now . THANK GOD...:praying:

I want to hook a 4 channel amp for all 4 speakers..
question is to those that have done this, did you use the outputs wires directly from the radio ( which there are only 2 channels ) or did you go from the fader where it splits it to 4 channel.
also has anyone replaced the tiny speakers wires from the radio to the fader and then from the fader to the speakers... I think the wires are way to small or thin . DOC

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
Welcome back Doc
Glad to hear your son pulled through by the Grace of God.

Rudy had a post on the amp hook up. He used the 2 channels off the radio running wires to the amp in the trunk then new wires to the speakers. Big wire is not necessary for speakers. Monster cable is a waste of money. 20 GA wire works very well. I have installed large sound systems with a friend that does it in large seating concert theaters using just 20 GA wire for 3800 Watt amps to speakers.

·
Pwhoever
3,079 Posts
CLICK HERE for Rudy's install info. You should be able to find some good info there. I have a different setup so I am no help getting the audio to the amp. However, from the amp to the 4 speakers, I ran all new speaker wires. I first tried some 24ga wire because that was all I could get. Way too small to work with. Then I was able to acquire some 16ga wire. It looked nice and beefy but ended up being a tad too thick to work with. I ended up scoring some 18ga speaker wiring from Radio Shack and that seemed about the right gauge. Not too thin and not too thick. I also brought one speaker along on my trip to Radio Shack to get some quick disconnect spade connectors. I didn't want to cannabalize the connectors off the stock wiring harness in case I ever (probably never) want to go back to stock.

Edit: And I too am glad to hear about you son. It's about time we had some good news around here.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.