Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an 94 GW SE with low miles and sticky buttons ( 4 way flasher - mute button etc) apparently from non use. Other than taking them apart ( I am mechanically challenged) is there some sort of lubricant that will free them up....thanks:praying::praying:

·
It aint rocket science
3,924 Posts
imported post

There is hope. When I got my ride most of the switches were sticky and non working.
I had some Lock Ease spray and over the course of a weekend flooded the switches while actuating them repeatedly at various intervals. To date they have worked like new. My horn button recently stopped working and did the same thing. This time it came back to life very easily. Use a rag to catch the drips. A lot of stores sell it.

http://www.ronshomeandhardware.com/...campaign=comparison_shopping_feeds&Click=1014

JD

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

Walnut

I use Inox on my switches. Just a tad in all switched and will not harm paint.Great product for many uses. It is made in Australia. I use it on many applications on ourpontoon boat here in Central Florda on the coast.Will penetrate corrision and is non-conductive. www.Inox-mx3.com. I hope it works for you.

Jim

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Radio Shack sells an electrical contact cleaner and lubricant in an pressure spray can. Cost: $10.

I had a problem with my starter switch when I first bought the bike. One year later, it is still working great.

Helmet cable was cutting out too. A little spray in it, and it has not cut out since.... 6 months now.

It is clear and non greasy. Worth the money.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
imported post

I recently purchased a 99 GL1500 and brought it home to Wisconsin. It's cold here in December and January. The mute switch, emergency flasher switch and cruise main switch all stuck either in or out. I used a Teflon based lubricant which freed them up twice, but as soon as they sat in the cold, they got sticky again, within days, even hours. This forum recommended several products but I chose to use the Radio Shack TV-Tuner/Control Cleaner & Lubricant. It took a while, but eventually it freed them all. They still felt slow or sticky so I followed another forum suggestion and followed the cleaner up with compressed air. They now seem to operate like new, nice crisp response. I would suggest being very careful about what you spray in there. If it breaks down the plastic, that will only make it much worse. And as most firearm enthusiasts know, you want to stay away from unnecessary and excess lubrication on close fitting parts, it tends to attract dirt and causes malfunctions / stickiness.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving:Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site oldwing99! :waving:

Electronic contact cleaner and lubricant is by far the best lubricant to free up stuck buttons and switches on bikes. Lock Ease can be dangerous because most of it contains graphinte, a conductor which can short out the switch contacts. Radio Shack is the most common source of contact cleaner. WD 40 can help but tends to evaporate, it is very good to dry out switches and electronic connectors that get soaked in water since the stuff is designed not for lubrication but to displace water. It does work well for short term lubrication however.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Yes welcome to the forum oldwing99

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

I kept having sticky switches too and about a month ago I used a silicon spray (separated the switch housings to get the spray directly onto the sliders)and they have been fine ever since. Cold doesn't seem to make a difference either as I have been out lately at just above freezing and they all worked well.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
imported post

Mine all so was like that . I took them all apart cleaned then and lubed then with Lithium grease. Know problems since I have done that. Been a few years now.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

A few phillips head screws and the unit is off..if not get a good can of electrical contact cleaner and douch away....be careful not to get it on paint or the black plastic...use the long straw nozzle...my 99 w/ 140k on it requires it about every yr....lack off use also.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

A few phillips head screws and the unit is off..if not get a good can of electrical contact cleaner and douch away....be careful not to get it on paint or the black plastic...use the long straw nozzle...my 99 w/ 140k on it requires it about every yr....lack off use also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.