Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi all,

need a little help, with my 1500 se with 66000 km onher. i rode about 10 miles today to a supermarket bought my stuff came back and my battery was dead. The bike gave no indication that it was sick apart from it was a little harder to start this afternoon, but i put that down to our overnight first frost. i must admit i have had the same battery on the bike since i have owed it and i am unsure when the PO fitted it so its been on the bike at least 3.5 years.

i had to be recovered (again) back to the house and into the garrage it went.

i have now put it on trickle charge over night

i did check that battery was charging about 2 hours later and this is what i found

The battery had 12.00 volts all off (including charger)

the battery started the bike no problem apart from the famous starter button release start thing. The battery read 11.9 and fell about 00.01 of a volt every secocond or so.

at 2500 reves the battery did exactly the same the reading goes down

my first thought is that the alternator has packed in but also could the battery be so old and bad that it wont accept a charge however shoud the alternator be giving the specified amount

an old friend had a similar fault he would go out and have a flat battery when stoped he changed a relay if i remember rightly (if so where is this relay diod thing)

any ideas of my next step new battery or pull the alternator

thanks

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Battery is way cheaper and a lot easier to change.

I would go with the battery.

What you describe has happened to me before and it was the battery.:waving:

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

At 2500 rpm, the 1500 should be putting out 13.2 volts to 14.0 volts at the battery terminal. If the voltage is going down, the alternator is not charging. If you were able to put a charge into your battery with a charger, then you have a bad alternator.:shock: I'd say the alternator has died.:(

Gene:action:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

take the battery to autozone or something and get it load tested for free

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

Check the battery, but the brushes in the alternator may be worn down to almost nothing, OR they may be so dirty that the (weak) spring can't keep them tight making connection.
New brushes & springs is a $10 fix.

Keep us posted as to what fixes your problem! Yeah, I'm keeping score, and I am doing pretty good!

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

That's the sign of a bad alternator. Even if the battery was a bad one, you should still read about 14 volts going into it from the alternator.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

Just change the battery then you'll know where you are instead of quessing the batteries' past life.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
At 2500 rpm, the 1500 should be putting out 13.2 volts to 14.0 volts at the battery terminal. If the voltage is going down, the alternator is not charging. If you were able to put a charge into your battery with a charger, then you have a bad alternator.:shock: I'd say the alternator has died.:(

Gene:action:
Gene is right, when the engine is running you should see the voltage rise at the battery not go down. Your Alternator is not working properly.

Your battery may also be getting old. Here's how to do a simple check if you can't yank it out and take it in to be tested. Charge it overnight on the trickle charger. Disconnect the charger and let it set for 1 hour. A new battery will read around 12.6V. One that is almost ready to give up will read down near 12V. If you have a reading below 12V the battery is bad and needs to be replaced. Your best bet though is to take it in and get it load tested, that will tell you if all of the cells are working properly.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

I just went through this this past spring. I had to have bike recoverd twice. First time it died I put a new battery in it. It lasted a few days then quit again. Replaced alternator the second time and she has ran like a champ ever since. If your not getting close to 14 volts with engine idled up past 2000 RPM I would say without a doubt it's the alternator.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

My alternator quite this summer also. I took off the alternator and found that the brushes had stuck in the holders. I clean the brushes and holders up, reinstalled alternator and has been working great.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

thanks for all the replys

i pulled the alternator today and pulled it apart no carbon build up but one of the brushes was very sticky so cleaned that up and had a look at the rest of the alt it was rusty? the magnets were paticulary bad, but the in side of the ring was orange should it be or should it be metal colour or is it brass coloured

finaly is there any fuses that could have blown to stop the charging system working

cheers all

andy

·
751 Posts
imported post

since you already have the alt out I would have it rebuilt take your alt to a place that rebuilds starters/alts& generaters see it they can rewind to higher output or order one off of e-bay or contact Ken Hemmings then youll have a good piece of mind your charging system is fine !

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Who is Ken hemmings. Sorry for my ignorance I am going to cleN it up and put back together and see what happens. If it charges I will save for a new one as I don't reay want to shell out for a new one fingers crossed it will work

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

right cleaned up and re installed ablolutly nothing still, i think read somewhere that the alt needs voltage input to enable it to work corectly. i got my haynes manual and followed the leak test and got no leakage happy
carried out power test across the dogbone 55 fuze got power
then went to do a wire check and see if power is getting to the alternator power goes all the way from the battery into the little black box on the back of the alt and does not come out at all. my book says it should at the same power as the battery

can any one confirm that the box on the back is a switch or diode something that afects the operation of the alternator

i am going to trust the manual and order another from mother honda

and go from there, i did ride the bike a few weeks ago in rain that was so bad i could hardly see so could that have contributed to the fault.

andy

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

the switch is a condensor so not changing it looks like the alternator has gone down i am going to try the battery then the alt

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I'd say that your battery is about due to be replaced, but if it holds a decent charge, keep it a little while longer. I've had this same situation happen to me in my 86 Toyota pickup a few times now. The first time I replaced the alternator with a cheap autozone one and about a year later it went out again. After replacing it once a year or so (I sure am glad that alternator had a lifetime warrenty, lol) I went and got a better one elsewhere and I haven't had a problem since. I believe your alternator should be rebuilt or replaced. A good, very simple way to test it is if you disconnect your battery from the bike with the engine running, if the alternator was good, the engine won't be affected, but if the alternator is toast, then the engine will shut off. I'm about 99% certain that this test won't hurt anything since I've done it so many times on my truck, but then again, I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

hummer5205 wrote:
since you already have the alt out I would have it rebuilt take your alt to a place that rebuilds starters/alts& generaters see it they can rewind to higher output or order one off of e-bay or contact Ken Hemmings then youll have a good piece of mind your charging system is fine !
Not going to make any recommendations here but My Ken Heming rebuilt failed after 15 months.

Hey Hanko, what would you be knowing about failed alternators?:ROFL:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.