Not open for further replies.
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

tlbranth wrote:
hummer5205 wrote:
since you already have the alt out I would have it rebuilt take your alt to a place that rebuilds starters/alts& generaters see it they can rewind to higher output or order one off of e-bay or contact Ken Hemmings then youll have a good piece of mind your charging system is fine !
Not going to make any recommendations here but My Ken Heming rebuilt failed after 15 months.

Hey Hanko, what would you be knowing about failed alternators?:ROFL:
Gee Terry, not sure.....maybe 450+ miles of swapping out batteries just to get home??? ;)

Hows your original Alternator doing??

Did you get the DVD's of the Alaska Trip pics I sent?

Henry

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

Henry - I sent the Ken Heming back to him and he fixed it at no labor charge but it cost me $75 for a new voltage regulator and $25 each way for shipping. So I'm in about $325 so far for an alternator that lasted 15 months. Not something I plan to repeat.

Got the pics and sent you some. Thanks

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
imported post

hey all

well after three days of stripping tupperware and checking conectivity and the wiring is ok so unfortunatley i will have to bite the bullet and get a new alternator.

for value for money i think this is the best move

oh hum thats winging eh

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Stuff like that happens from time to time, once you get your new alt, it will hopefully last a good while.

·
Premium Member
6,721 Posts
imported post

If you take it to a rebuilder you could save some money. Might be the internal voltage regulator or the rotor failed. Possible rectifier bridge but they usually fail slowly. Poor performance until it just can't keep up. You might check the single wire that comes to the alternator. It should be hot with the key on only. It turns the regulator on.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
imported post

thats interesting redwing52 i will check that if it is hot does that mean the regulator is working or if not then the regulator is bad. There is power down the wire to the plug as per the power in the battery

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
imported post

ahhh i see yep there is so ne alternator for me

thanks all

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
imported post

well just to keep you up dated the alternator arrived today and it is fitted i mannaged to get one from ebay at a very reasonable price
it puts 14 v across the battery at all times so iam happy.

thinking about changing all lights to led so it takes the load off the alt

as normal invaluable information from you all thanks

Andy

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.