Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Photo is my 1500. Tire has about 6000 on it. Not exactly cupping. Where the dimple is it is like a grinder has cut a long flat spot in the tire. Patern showed up will returning from Georgia. Now it is showing most of the way around the tire. They are Metzlers. Any ideas??

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

again

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

1 more

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

As you can see in the pictures something funny is starting on the other side of the tire. These tires have been ran at 41 pounds always. Never ran below. I ive in central Ill. so no twistees to wear a tire here. Metzler rep is suposed to look at the tire in a week or so.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I think that is cupping. But, I would agree that it is a weirder looking cup type of wear. Is cupping considered to be ...normal or abnormal...never mind.

Hey, if it is not, see if you can contact a Metzler rep to give you a new tire. Maybe their customer service will be obliging. You already have the pictures. 6k, hmm.

It seems like auto tires has the warranty, and they anticipate and expect a certain percentage loss. Maybe you can be the first to get a refund.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I have heard of some Metzlers delaminating between the plies in bulges on some tires but it is supposed to be pretty rare.
That looks like an overall delamination like recap car and truck tires have sometimes.

I'd definitely have that looked at before doing much more on it.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I might add I also installed a rear on the bike at the same time. It looks like it went on last week. Its up to the rep as to what they will do.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sure looks like an internal failure in the tire to me. Not normal cupping at all. If it were a belted tire I'd think the belt was shifting out of position. I wouldn't trust that one around the block.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for the opinions. On my way home from Georgia it started in a spot about 6 inches. I stopped at a dealership and they said to take it where you bought it. I have not rode the bike 500 miles since. Been riding my Concours. My dealer where I bought the tire says the rep will be in this area in the next week. And he wants to see tire. I sent these same pictures to the dealer tonight. I am calling him tomorrow and asking for the email address for the rep. Its been 6 weeks and I am getting restless.

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

I have seen this type of wear on a mates 1500 front tyre it was a Metzlers, he took it for advice to a dealer who said nothing to worry about, it is just a harder compond in the middle section, with a softer typecompound on the edges.

We took his word but the the handling started to alter, as you went in to a corner it felt like the bike nudged itself over, once you went past the verticalthis was unnerving to say the least, a bit like riding on a knife edge,a change of tyre cured both problems.

So the dealers explanation of harder material in the centre of the tyre sort of made sense, trouble was the outer edge wore down sooner than the harders centre.

Nick

Welsh Winger

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Ghost Rider 2 wrote:
As you can see in the pictures something funny is starting on the other side of the tire. These tires have been ran at 41 pounds always. Never ran below. I ive in central Ill. so no twistees to wear a tire here. Metzler rep is suposed to look at the tire in a week or so.
Straight road driving may be a contributing factor. It looks like a typical result of overinflation to me. 41 psi may be too much for the weight on the front

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

did the previous tires do that, if not i agree with everyone else. bad tires. on a car that would be bad alignment, i dont think its that unusual to get a bad motorcycle tire. i have friends that have had tires go bad prematurely.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Last tire on the bike was an E2 it was just dry rotted. No wear problem at all. I have a D404 on the front of my 1100. Same roads same driving style. It has almost 17,000 and has 1/2 left and it is a true as it was new. I just went to the garage and pulled the front tire. Taking it by the dealership tommorow. So the rep can swing by and look at it.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

My front tire is looking a little like that and I decreased the pressure by a couple of pound to see how it wears. 5 think the book calls for 33 p.s.i. but I am now running near 30 p.s.i.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Metzlers web site calls for 40 to 42 pounds. heavy load or 2 up. I think is they way they worded it. I run 41. And in my 1100 I also run 41. How many people think that is two much? I was under the impression I was running the tire right.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I have always followed the vehicle's reccomendation. I have heard that some run tires at their max. I figure that the vehicle manufacture understands what pressure is needed for handing and the tire manufacture understands max. loads and pressures the tire can safely withstand. Since tires maybe used in multiple applications, I follow the vehicle's rec.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

treker8098 wrote:
My front tire is looking a little like that and I decreased the pressure by a couple of pound to see how it wears. 5 think the book calls for 33 p.s.i. but I am now running near 30 p.s.i.
How many miles are on your front tire?

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I know I'm at least double that and I don't see any of those patterns. I tried to check everyone's front tire last weekend, just to compare to mine. I didn't remember seeing that on yours.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I looked at the pictures again. I do not have the raise areas or cups like his, but I feel a little uneveness as I run my hand the circumference. I figured it was some of the same happening. From side to side, I have some of what is seen in the picture. I was thinking it was from over inflation and some interstate travel.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.