Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I just got a new 88 gl1500. It has a stumble at low RPM, surges and then runs great. The stumble is only starring at low RPM. I read somewhere on here about greasing the CV slides. Is this a hard job and can you do it without taking the carbs out or apart. I checked the service bullitin #2 that mentions this problem in 88 1500s, took it to the local honday dealer who is checking to see if Honda will still do this repair since it is so old. I thought it was a saftey recall but they said it wasnt.

Any assistance would be as always appreciated

Thanks,
Walt

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
imported post

Walt
I had the same problem with the low RPM stumble. I finally put a 4 degree timing trigger and new timing belts in my 89 GL1500. It no longer has the stumble and seems to have more midrange snort. My bike has 56K miles and the belts had a lot of play so I don't know if it's the trigger or belts or a combination of both but it really runs better. I have not checked the mileage yet so don't know if that has changed. Some of the other guys may have better advice but this worked for me.
Bill

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Bill thanks, I have had the belts replaced and am hoping that Honda does the service bullitin, if not then I am looking at vaccum hoses and synching the carbs and see if theat helps. Will post anything I find out

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

Ogrebro, what do you mean ,you put a 4 degree timing trigger on it? My 89 gl1500 does the same stumble problem and I've done everything to it and it still stumbles until 2000 rpm.Where do I get the trigger?

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
imported post

Zebber
I got mine off EBay called a Air lake trigger wheel.
It advances the timing 4 degrees all thru the RPM range.
They say you have to run premium fuel but I do that anyway.
There is one on Ebay now auction # 190318678905.
I paid $60 for mine on a BIN with $4.95 Pri mail shipping.
This guy puts them on one at a time. It's at $41 now.
I have not checked mileage yet but it really runs better!
Bill

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

i have the 4 degree timing trigger fitted to mine and i dont have any running problems at all infact mine does more miles to the tank than myfriends 1500se.

Here in the uk the timing wheel is called a power wheel.

Daz

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
imported post

The early (88/89) Wings were noted for this stumble. Like others who have replied to your post, I fitted the trigger wheel and although I would not say it has completely cured the problem I would say it has gotten rid of 85% of it. Combine this with making sure your carbs are clean and set up correctly and other filters and service items are in good order you will not notice it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.