Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just got a new (to me) 1999 GL1500SE. On my last GL1500, I had to replace the "sub air filter". Now I can't find it on this bike in the parts blowup. Can anyone help? Need the part number and the section of the parts blowup where it can be located. Is it still important to replace it?
Thanks!

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Yup ... they're still just as important to replace now, as they were then

You can either make one yourself from a large foam paintbrush, or order one from HERE ...

or from your dealership. The part number is included in the photo below, showing it's location. ....

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

So Ken, what does this filter do exactly?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Filters the air going to your solenoids, (the two black rubber encased items that the grey hoses run to in upper part of photo) which then feed to the carbs.

If you or the PO haven't changed it in some time, they have a very nastyhabit of crumbling/disintegrating and fouls/plugs up the solenoids and cause carburetion problems. :whip:

It is located under the right hand fairing pocket, but you have to remove the right inner fairing panel to get at the bolt to remove housing (circled in yellow) and then removethe filter element inside.

Apply a light coating of rear end gear oil tothe new oneand squeeze out any excess, before installing the new filter element.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

newday777 wrote:
Here ya go SailorKane
Is that what you asked for? Honda has always hidden stuff on their fiches, I was a parts mgr in the mid 70's, got real frustrated that you had to hunt for everything, learned to memorize where to find stuff like this.

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=150318&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1999&fveh=3495

#3 sub air filter

:waving:
The PAIR VALVE!!! I NEVER thought to look there!!! Thanks so much!!! I admit--I'm totally anal and would not have been happy until I found it on the parts catalog!!!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I had never looked at that page till having looked at all the other logical places. Darn these new fangled machines!

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

With skinny arms like mine you can leave the panel on, pull it out a bit and get your arm in there to swap it without removing the bolt.
:raspberry:

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Lets not forget the Cruise Filter ,,,,,,,, on the left side ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
...You can either make one yourself from a large foam paintbrush...
> I cut mine from a large piece of 1/4" foam, just $1 for a 4 SQFT piece from Walmart, sold as filter media for water coolers. One piece makes about 100 sub air filters!

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
imported post

rpeters549----With skinny arms like mine you can leave the panel on, pull it out a bit and get your arm in there to swap it without removing the bolt.

I have skinny arms too... Can you explain that a little more how you did that? How much did you have off to do that?

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

I removed the appropriate screws (from the glovebox) removed the pin holding the front of the panel (the end closer to the seat). I want to say that was about it but use your judgment. I may have also partially removed the trim piece that covers the seam between the panel and the fairing a bit. I was able to see the filter housing by pulling outwards a bit on the panel with it basically still attached at the fairing. I used a small screw driver to help pop the bottom of the housing off and the filter sits in it-when you see how it clips together it will make sense. I made one out of the foam scrap that came with my tunnel filters and clean gear oil. I then reached in and was able to snap it back on.
It hooks/snaps at each end.

Basically, i was able to do it this way pretty easily without removing the entire filter housing or panel.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
imported post

Thanks .. I have to check the air filter and replace fuel filter so it might be easier for me to get to the sub filter with that much off. Might even take the right panel off anyhow when i get that far. I wish i would have known about the sub and cruise filters when I had ALL that off 6yrs ago when i bought the Wing and replaced dash lights and speakers and didn't know much and still don't. I always have to refresh my memory on how to take it apart. lol

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

I did the same thing. Not removing the panel all the way means you can leave all that electrical stuff connected, etc so there is less work involved.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
imported post

Finally got the new rear tire on, new rear pads, changed diff. oil, new orings, drive shaft seal and lubed all needed places.
Old SUB AIR FILTER was in ONE piece yet after 24yrs. BUT crumbled very easily into dust. Whew that is a relief to get that out of there. Probably the dealer that did the warranty on the carbs back in 1989 for PO let the vacuum hose spring clamps that go to the solenoids that feed off the sub filter were halfway down the hose and left grooves in the hoses. Have to get to the CRUISE filter yet. K&N filter after 19k could use a little cleaning. No dirt got past it that i can see. EMGO fuel filter did not let go internally yet and that is a relief. Getting replaced as soon as i buy another brand.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Get the Napa 3003 gas filter, it's clear so you can keep an eye on it. Only @ $5 too. Fits in there w/o the rubber holder, has a bigger body. Get some fuel inject line hoses to replace the original hose clamps while you are at it to save having to fix the leaking later.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

+2 on the NAPA 3003. I use one. Just sits there in plain sight along the side. I used basic screw type worm gear clamps instead of the springy ones.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
imported post

I got the same filter from Carquest on sale for $2.32. Napa and Carquest are made by Wix..... and my box said made in Russia!!! not Chinese anyhow.
Cruise filter was intact but crumbled to dust easily.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

wow just got the sub filter out it fell apart so easy

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

stupid ? here where is it on a 88 1500? sub filter and cruise filter

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status