Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

On way to work Friday and bike suddenly starts missing, backfiring and idle becomes very rough. I was getting low on fuel so filled up tank but to no avail.

I just replaced fuel filter, air filter, sub air filter and plugs at same time less than 200 miles ago. I checked plug wires after work and all were snug on plugs, pulled plugs and they are black and smell strongly of gas (after 200 miles, running very rich?)

Lastly, I noticed there was a hose that was unplugged from a small metal nipple on the left side of the engine between the middle and front spark plug, is this a vacuum line?

If my plugs got bad enough would this cause the sudden change, is it related to the potentially unplugged line I found (in all reality I may have pulled it off while checking the plugs), would this be timing belt related? Thanks to all who helped me with my poor mileage and plug issues a few weeks ago, wish I could say I have had trouble free miles since then :)!

-Daniel

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

The vacuum line is your culprit if it is open.

You could also have contaminants in the fuel system.

Plugs don't normally exhibit sudden changes.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Rudy thanks for the response, I had a small tear in said line, cut it off put back on and hoped for the best...no luck. Still very labored idle and dies within 20-30 seconds without throttle.... also noticed what I think is oil from the exhaust, from the end of the pipe blowing small drops on garage floor, def. not condensation.... how bad am I getting into it?[align=left][/align]

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

Sounds to me like you might have a float stuck down allowing extra fuel to flow into the carbs. Take a long screwdriver or 1/4 extension and try and tap on the carbs while the bike is running. Many times that will get whatever is stuck in the needle/seat to loosen and go through. That would also explain the fouled plugs - copious amounts of fuel.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks, can I get to that by taking the top of the air filter box off and the air filter? Also what are your thoughts regarding oil from the tail pipes?

SJY207 wrote:
Sounds to me like you might have a float stuck down allowing extra fuel to flow into the carbs.  Take a long screwdriver or 1/4 extension and try and tap on the carbs while the bike is running.  Many times that will get whatever is stuck in the needle/seat to loosen and go through.  That would also explain the fouled plugs - copious amounts of fuel. 

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

wu_msw wrote:
Thanks, can I get to that by taking the top of the air filter box off and the air filter? Also what are your thoughts regarding oil from the tail pipes?

Bad neighbors with a squirt can?

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

FM wrote:
wu_msw wrote:

Bad neighbors with a squirt can?
LOL I hope so in this case :)!

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

SJY207 wrote:
Sounds to me like you might have a float stuck down allowing extra fuel to flow into the carbs.  Take a long screwdriver or 1/4 extension and try and tap on the carbs while the bike is running.  Many times that will get whatever is stuck in the needle/seat to loosen and go through.  That would also explain the fouled plugs - copious amounts of fuel. 
I tapped on everything in this picture, no major changes.... everything on both sides was moving the same, squirting gas the same etc...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
imported post

wu_msw wrote:
What is this, should it be leaking?
That is the vacuum controlled fuel valve. If it is leaking, it would cause lean running AND possibly reduced fuel flow.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

If it were leaking, you would also get pretty strong gas fumes.

If you still have the air filter out of it, I'd add a bit of fine oil (3inOne) on those slides (2nd photo)and work them back and forth, making sure you have smooth operation there.

Do you know if the PO ever had the carbs off ? I'm thinking your floats are either stuck,or set too high

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

The bowls are on the bottom side of the carbs and they point at each other and are in the center of the two carbs. Usually you can find your way to seeing them from the front around the radiators. If you have that much off, you should be able to tap on them from the top side. Do it while running and see what you get. Don't beat them, but tap them hard enough to send some vibrations through them. If you can drain the carb bowls (can't remeber if you can get there without taking more stuff off), sometimes the rushing of the fuel back into the carbs and the floats being all the way down, will cause the offending chunk of "crud" to flush through.

The "oil" you see out the tailpipescould just be the result of excessive fuel or the fuel not buring completely. I would try the above and then go out for a long enough ride to get the bike warmed up and things cleaned up.

In the worst case scenario, if the carbs have never been off, you may just be time ahead to pull them and clean them. Did minethis year and the bike has never run this good. It was worth the time and effort and the next time I think it would be a four to five hour job from start to finish. Took me that long just to get the carbs off the first time.

Been busy at work this week and did not see your posts til today. Good luck.

One last thing thatI would check would be to make sure the choke is all the way off. You probably been there already, but some times it never hurts to mention the simple stuff.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
If it were leaking, you would also get pretty strong gas fumes.

If you still have the air filter out of it, I'd add a bit of fine oil (3inOne) on those slides (2nd photo) and work them back and forth, making sure you have smooth operation there.

Do you know if the PO ever had the carbs off ? I'm thinking your floats are either stuck,or set too high

I had the local shop rebuild the carbs in March of this year... :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.