Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I just won a bike on e-bay drove 550mls to bring it home having been assured that I quote run's EXCALLENT only to get there and right away it had to be chocked all the way to start then while still cold would'nt finish warming up at half choke like my other wing,after warming up it sat and surged between 1 and 2 thousand rpm. he swore it just started doing it. besides carb's does any one know of other thing's to check I being the fool I am was almost willing to take it the way it was figuring to have to do a carb job but this jocker wouldnt get off of five hundred to do the work thats what the local dealer wants I checked on the way out of town. the bike is a 97 with 14k on it. I really want that bike now he has to fix it.He did say I would get first stab when it run's.

·
It aint rocket science
3,967 Posts
imported post

Carburetors needing work or vacuum leaks will cause the surging you mentioned.

JD

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
imported post

Vacuum leaks would be the best place to start. My wing had similar problems and it was vacuum leaks

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
imported post

When mine did that, one sugesstion was to turn the idle adjustment knob back and forth. Didn't work on mine. My final cure was lots of SeaFoam in the tank, let it idle until the temp was high. Cool, repeat. After about two hours, it quit surging, hasn't done it since.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
imported post

I run into this quite often on these aging 1500s. Most often it's vacuum hose issues and most of the time it's the ones under the rubber mat that covers the top of the engine. You can do the butane torch/with a piece rubber tube test to pinpoint the location of a bad vacuum hose or connection. To gain access to the most common leaking hose, the carbs have to come out. Being a 97 with such low miles, there's a good chance that there's some varnish build up in those carbs. So I'd be doing a carb rebuild anyway. Randakk's is the best place to get the carb kits. It's not a terrible job... take a lot of pictures if your not sure! Good luck with your project

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear about the problem your having, my story is just the opp. Purchased my new 2005 in PA. drove it 1300 home to Fl. Not a problem no where, but I am still waitng 3 weeks now for him to send me some parts I forgot.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

not familiar with the butan rubber hose trick I have heard of it. Could you elaborate on the method please.Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.