Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Another fantastic tutorial has been added to this Great site, Loads of pictures (65) and explicit instructions on how to replace your swingarm

Click here...

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,710 Posts
imported post

Steve just keeps raising the bar for Professional "how to do it" documentation.

:cool: :cool:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I don't see what his fix is for the rust holes in the swing arms in that tutorial.

Get it welded and painted?

Nice work. :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Eh, the tutorial is for Swingarm replacement Rudy, ie fitting a new one and not patching up the rusted one. Besides, the removal and refitting instructions will also apply to a patch & repair.I would think that old swinger is for the bin, it looks bad and that was just the rust we could see in the photos.

Great article and it should be of help to plenty of people.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Yep,that's a goldwing for ya.

It never ceases to amaze me in the amount work necessary to perform any type of maintenance on these machines.

Youare definitely better than "...all of the king's horses and all of the king's men..."

:clapper:

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

The swingarm wasn't too hard to do, but I have to admit having a table makes it much easier. The old swingarm is very badly rotted, I was able to grab the back wheel and twist it and see the swingarm flexing. The new one was really expensive, about €600. No wonder Honda supply it with bearings. Apparently someone in the UK reconditions the old swingarms, but they are only about a third cheaper and all they are doing is welding plates into the old unit. I think the one I did was too far gone for that.

BTW, I'm changing the air filter on that same bike tomorrow. Would it be useful to have a tutorial for that as well, even though it's a relatively straightforward job? If I think it's useful I'll bring the camera in with me. Also the front wheel will be coming out for a new tyre, I should probably take pictures of that if I'm going to have the camera out.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The air filter tutorial would be good to have Steve, that is if it isn't too much trouble to do. I mean air filter changing is a job that every gl1500 owner will need to do at some point.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
I don't see what his fix is for the rust holes in the swing arms in that tutorial.

Nice work. :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:
It a fantastic tutorial!!! But I think rudy was right, Grind out all the rust, and stick weld it!! faster & easier.

ps WILL CHECK OUT THE AREA, WHEN CHANGE MY BACK TIRE, thanks for idea.

Lee

·
Premium Member
61,440 Posts
imported post

How old a bike was it and how many miles???
Do they salt the roads in Ireland or is it real wet???
Great pictures, thanks........

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:

I believe the repair was complete replacement with new OEM parts.

Mike

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

MDKramer wrote:
Rudy wrote:

I believe the repair was complete replacement with new OEM parts.

Mike
Yeah the clue would be where it says "swingarm replacement". But I think it would be a waste throwing the old arm away without getting a welder to have a look Steve. You might be surprised at how easy it is to save them. I've seen worse looking swingarms given a new lease of life.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

I didn't dump it yet. Looks very bad to me, but I'll have a closer look next week and hammer around to find all the rot. The guy who owned the bike wanted a new swingarm fitted and he supplied it as well, so that was that. If it's repairable I'll get one of the welders in work to do a job on it and it might be of use to someone on the forum.

BTWFoodmanthe Wing has 96,000 miles and was in the UK for about ten years before arriving here. I believe they salt the roads in the UK but they don't do it here as a rule.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,710 Posts
imported post

I think a tutorial on the air filter replacement would be beneficial.

The first time I did it, I had to call my mechanic friend at 10:30 at night. I was buried in quick sand at Lake Havasu, AZ miles from nowhere and that bike would not run, period.

I had to get the sand out of the carb slides and I didn't know how to get there. Especially in the dark with only a penlight.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

That had to be a nightmare John. I'll have the tutorial up on Wednesday. The pictures are done and the page prepped, all I need is a bit of time for the text so Wednesday will give me time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.