Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

GL1500 tachometer. Sometimes work normal. Sometimes show 5-6k rpm at 45mph. Do i need new one or itis a screw loose somewhere?

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
imported post

The sender could be bad. What year is your 1500? I think the early ones had a mechanical sender and later on they got an electronic one driven off the cams.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

I'm curious to learn where the "sender" is located? Been trying to cure my tach problem also. any help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

the bike tells me its red lining but by the sound of the engine it cant be , if it sits in the sun it seems that it will not red line and runs stronger , when the tach is goofy it seems to run weaker

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Melvin
Have patience some one will be along, not always on our own schedule.
I have not run into this myself, so sorry I can't give you an answer. Try sending a PM to the other 2 posters if they got it figured out while you are waiting. Just be sure and post an answer if you get one, or not, so that others will benefit as well.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
imported post

Mine just started doing this too! As well as, hesitating when I accelerate.
Could it be a vacuum line? If so which one? :headbanger:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

you shure its not clutch slipping. That would acount for the hesatation poor running
Wilf

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
was this issue with the tach ever resolved? I bought a 1989 GL1500 in the spring and it has just started do this with the tach.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
was this issue with the tach ever resolved? I bought a 1989 GL1500 in the spring and it has just started do this with the tach.

The 89's drive the tach off of the blue/yellow wire (or possibly green/yellow) going to coil 1/2. It's a pretty simple setup really. I suppose a loose connection could cause this. On my bike the tach sometimes doesn't start up right away when I first start the engine. It can sit there and idle for awhile before the tach starts working. Usually, if I blip the throttle a little it wakes up and starts working. I know there's not a loose connection on mine. ( I completely rewired it) So I just attribute this to the age of the bike. It probably needs a new tach.

Just a thought. ... I wonder if a faulty 1/2 coil could cause the problem you're having. ( like if it's arcing to ground )

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.