Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here is using their cell phone on their bike and just how are you accomplishing it? I have a stock 1500 system, with aux input. It would cost over 200$ to buy the stuff from J&M to enable me to use my Iphone. Any other methods out there?

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Probably the easiest method is to interface your phone thru a Bluetooth enabled GPS... Once that is accomplished it is a simple matter of splitting off the mic signal into the GPS's external mic input...

This integration will be infinitely easier to accomplish if your 1500 has the "aux" radio mod for the auxiliary input to the 1500 radio...

I have used this method on both my previously owned 1993 Aspy and my current 2009 GL1800 ABS... My GPS is a Garmin Zumo 665 but I also used my Nuvi 660 in this fashion... There are some caveats regarding headset mic output but basically it will work if your phone is compatible with your Garmin GPS... Your GPS also needs a headphone output jack as well as the external mic input jack(s)... Most (but not all) Garmin GPS have these features...

You can buy a mic splitter cable for about $50 give or take or you can build your own for about $10 using this transformer - -

The transformers can be a little hard to find but they are out there and I assume a suitable replacement can be found at Mouser Electronics and other parts stores...

My cell phone is an old Motorola RAZR V3... It's an oldie but a goodie!!! it works extremely well and will literally "marry up to the world" via most any Bluetooth interface...

Les

·
I think I was wrong once!
382 Posts
I've been working on this for a few weeks now and have it all figured out (I think) just ordered parts today to add a cell phone jack with audio and mic to my gl1200 (I have been told that all wings have the same layout to the audio system, so with minor adjustments my mod should work will all wings) and at this point it lookes like I will still have 100% of factory sound system with cb and intercom still working, I'm even trying to utalize the PTT button from CB for cell phone mic. but that will raise the cost a little. Once the mod is compleeted and tested I'll post a new thread with more details.

Cost as of this point is about $25.00

Feel free to P.M. me if you want but publicly this is all I am willing to say about my mod at this point.

L8r
Larry

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Just curious but why the hell would you want to take and make calls while on a bike ?

Hell I wouldn't do it in my car until I got a car that had sync in it.

I'll pray for your safety.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
It's just about that easy when you have a handsfree Bluetooth connection... Don't get me wrong, I am not an advocate oif yakking on the phone while driving but I do use to inform the wife our (granddaughter and I ) progress when we are on the way home or moving from one destination to another...

My GPS is set to auto answer so all I have to do is say "hello" - very similar to your sync system... And a phone call home is a one button touch on my GPS, so it's pretty fast and pretty safe - at least as safe as talking on the CB radio and maybe safer...

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
You can buy the wireless bluetooth headsets off ebay, most of those will mate up with your phone, then when a call comes in it will beep and automatically turn the call on for you. They do not hook into the bikes system though so you would have to listen to the radio through the speakers on bike and not in your helmet...I have done this at 70mph on the 1100 we had, person i was talking to had no idea i was on the bike until i told him..so it can be done and be done safely without touching anything once you actually mount up to ride the bike.

·
I think I was wrong once!
382 Posts
I too am one that does not like to talk on phone and drive (anything car, truck, bike) but with todays technology, the goldwings sound system, wifes and adult children that worry, it would be nice to be able to safly say "hellow, i'm ok, i'll call you back in a bit when i'm not driving"

The primary reason I'm on this quest is because my wife (how don't drive motorcycles) is on the back of mine alot and would like to be able to take a call if we get one.

L8r
Larry

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
The reason we bought the Bluetooth headsets was because our 1100 intercom on bike didn't work...once we got the 1500 we just put one of our android phones on ram mount on handlebars while on trips, we can see and hear if there's call coming in and can pull over and answer if necessary....im sure there is a way to integrate Bluetooth into the bike but we just haven't found the reason for it yet. If you and your wife do not use intercom on the bike, then you could go ahead and mount a Bluetooth headset in her helmet for taking or making calls by linking it up with her phone...hope this helps

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I go riding so I don't have to be on the phone....... I have sent a text or two when riding on the back roads or the BRP going very slow with no other traffic around, but not something that I like to do at all, Even with blue tooth...... Nothing is more important than riding, except riding safely!

·
Master Sgt. USAF Retired.
246 Posts
Team rider

SCALA Team Rider...No hands, voice activated, works great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.