Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello HI Everyone, a little thank you in advance.

i have this GL1500 I inherited a few months back that I trailered back to LA, seems to have 85k miles. I dont even complete model number.

I have a few questions and want to ask the community some advice on what to do. I want to do a full refresh, tune-up, get her back to road worthiness including all maintenance.

1. what type of oil should I use?
2. Replace the plugs? to what? what plugs are best?
3. Should I replace the wires if they work? or is replacing them smarter?
3. Flush out or add oil to the drive shaft?
4. New battery of course, what is a good battery for this bike?
5. Do I replace the ALL belts too? (i think so, it sat outside in AZ heat)
6. recommended spark plugs?

save me the trouble, and recomend some good stuff to order. Shes gonna take me a few months to get her done.

money is not no object, but then i also want to get good stuff that gets the best bang for my bucks.
-mike

·
Registered
1988 Honda GL1500
842 Posts
Definately new belts, oil, oil filter, coolant, drive gear oil. Probably flush out all brake and clutch fluid and new tyres, battery definately plugs maybe
Cant recomend suppliers to you as im in UK but im sure others on here will have good ideas

·
Registered
379 Posts
Going to take lots of work to get this bike back on the road. Think I see leaking fork seals. Tires that are over 7 years old will need replacing no matter how much tread they show. How does inside of gas tank look? Probably going to need carb work. Brake and clutch reservoirs are probably gunked up, along with slave cylinders. New anti freeze. All depends on how it was maintained before parking it. I would consider any bike I could not ride home, or at least listen to run, a parts bike at best.

·
Administrator
29,136 Posts
1. what type of oil should I use? We get into battles over oil but most of us use 15/40 diesel oil.
2. Replace the plugs? to what? what plugs are best? NGK
3. Should I replace the wires if they work? or is replacing them smarter? It's a lot of trouble unless you also pull and rebuild the carbs, which it will probably need.
3. Flush out or add oil to the drive shaft? Replace final drive oil, 80/90 gear oil.
4. New battery of course, what is a good battery for this bike? Doesn't matter much what brand but get an AGM battery.
5. Do I replace the ALL belts too? (i think so, it sat outside in AZ heat) Yes, replace the timing belts, gates T275.

Reactions: limpy45

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
That is an Interstate model. So no reverse and fewer options overall. Unless you have some sentimental attachment to this bike, you will probably end up spending way more than it is worth to bring it back.

·
Registered
1999 GL1500SE
320 Posts
First thing I would do, is give it a good bath!! It would not make any difference on running or not, so hit it with a pressure washer. Much easier to work on it if it is somewhat clean. Then carefully proceed with previous suggestions. Also get a good shop manual and enjoy working on your new bike.

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
413 Posts
First thing I would do, is give it a good bath!! It would not make any difference on running or not, so hit it with a pressure washer. Much easier to work on it if it is somewhat clean. Then carefully proceed with previous suggestions. Also get a good shop manual and enjoy working on your new bike.
NO PRESSURE WASHER. Garden hose only. You DO NO want to inject water and dirt into places it does not belong.

·
Registered
21 Posts

i have this GL1500 I inherited a few months back that I trailered back to LA, seems to have 85k miles. I dont even complete model number.

I have a few questions and want to ask the community some advice on what to do. I want to do a full refresh, tune-up, get her back to road worthiness including all maintenance.

save me the trouble, and recomend some good stuff to order. Shes gonna take me a few months to get her done.

money is not no object, but then i also want to get good stuff that gets the best bang for my bucks.
-mike
What a great project. I recent finished a 2000 gl1500 trike (seen on my profile page) with similar issues and condition. Most everything can be found online and/or on “EBay“ for these old girls. Try to find the repair and service manual also. They’re on line and can be printed out for your scrap book. There’s loads of us old motor heads here to help also. Have fun and enjoy your new project ride.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
I’m my opinion this is a parts bike. If you are wanting a challenge, first jump the starter and do a compression test. If compression is good, replace every rubber part on the bike $$$$. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Goldwingparts.com for parts you may need,
Randakks.com might have some stuff
Ebay is ok but watch out for chinese knockoff parts and sellers.
All fluids should be flushed out at any rate, timing belts and tires should be replaced.
The best thing to stat with is a bath as others have suggested. Likewise i agree, no pressure washer. Hose only.
Get a parts list and pricing of all you will need and then decide if its worth it or if you should just get a same model bike in better condition and use this one as a donor bike. You could recouo aome money by putting usable parts you dont need in ebay.

I just finished a rstore on a 76 wing, costs were about $2,000 to get her fully restored (minus front end which is being done right now, new fork seals, wheel bearings, brakes). Also you will need to consider tools you will need to work on her. Fork seals require a good tool for seating the seals, etc. Timing cover tool, if needed, fluid costs, and obviously, your time if doing it yourself. Not many shops will work on older wings anymore, we who love them usually have to do our own work.
Definately get a FACTORY shop manual, it will provide a lot of the info you need.
Good luck, welcome to the forums and keep updating with your progress.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ughhhhhj.......

Thanks guys keep it coming. I appreciate the all the help and feedback.

Its sounding to be expensive rehaul. 😩
I used Iridium plugs that spark all around the center so no matter where the fuel air is the most saturated, you get good ignition....air filters are often lifetime just need to clean them well and lightly oil....
I bought a 93 and replaced a lot of stuff...timing belts, relays, lighting, and fluid flushes...worth every wrench turn....just got back from Nova Scotia....2500 miles of just freaking fantastic views, food, people....seems like north of the border people know the yellow line IS NOT A SUGGESTION!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
this will get you a year and a model number Are there Jaguars in the United States? - Search
Also if the engine is locked, do not try to use the starter. It will break a gear in the transmission and that is a major job, instead use the bolt on the front of the crankshaft to try to turn it. Two days of removing the spark plugs and adding disel to each cylinder will usually break the engine free.

·
Registered
7 Posts

-mike
Honda VIN Decoder | Honda Parts Online this will get a year and model number

also if the engine is frozen, do not use the starter. A strong battery like a car battery will break a gear in the transmission and that is a major job to replace that gear.

To break it loose remove the spark plugs and fill the cylinder with disel and let it soak a couple of days.

·
Registered
'81 GL1100
519 Posts
I have brought many neglected bikes back to life. Unless you just want a project to exercise your skills (and your patience) its a losing proposition as you'll never recover your costs unless the bike has considerable collectible value. That said for a Gold Wing you can certainly get the parts you need and a wealth of technical advice here and other places. If you just want a nice GL1500 to ride find one that hasn't been neglected.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts