Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the timing belts this week on my 92 SE 1500. Thanks for great directions Steve Saunders!

Since I had the antifreeze drained it was a good time to flush the radiators with tap water. A few distilled water flush rides will come before I add antifreeze. I also removed and inspected both molded water hoses and they were fine.

The photo is from my ride today 30 miles away from home and outside temps in the high 80s.

The photo represents what it would read at 65mph. Is the guage reading normal? If I sit at idle for a minute or two the hand will climb to the 1/2 mark but no higher under any conditions that I have seen.

I'm trying to decide if I should pull and test the thermostat.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Administrator
27,951 Posts
For all the trouble it is to pull the stat I would just ride it.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,695 Posts
pretty much normal.

My two 1500s both ran at the lower white mark if the temps were below 80ish

95 pushed it up to middle or closer to the upper white mark.

Sitting still at the red lights would put it on the top white mark in 100+ temps

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
That is about where I sit.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Looks normal to me. My 1200 runs at 6 bars all the time (digital gauge) which is a little more than halfway, but I live in a super hot place with 115 degree temperatures. I am running mine with distilled water in it right now. I may go to just a mixture of distilled water and a product called Water Wetter. It works great, just doesn't offer any freeze protection, which is not an issue here. It is required on the race track.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
When it goes over half way the pump may be going. Looks good there.:claps: Go riding, stop worrying. :lash:

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Spot on where mine sits. Mine also climbs to half way ticking over for a few minutes. It's 86 degrees F here today and it will still have the same readings.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
It looks normal to me it's exactly where mine sits. It was a 105 degrees with the heat index here last week and that's where mine sat.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts

That is where mu 97' SE sits while riding. Stop and go city traffic in heat, it climbs a bit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the votes are in...

I really appreciate the 8 of you chiming in.

I'll proceed with the distilled water flushes...add antifreeze and ride.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
I really appreciate the 8 of you chiming in.

Now you're talkin'!!

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
You may consider using a little antifreeze with the water to prevent rust. Without a rust inhibitor in the system rust could start growing quickly.;)

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
My '98 runs on that spot unless I'm around town at slow speeds in warm weather, or at very high elevations in warm weather.

Looks like you're in good shape...go riding and enjoy yourself!

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Now i have nearly new radiators and a new thermostat my 91gl1500 sits at one quarter when movingbut when stationary rises to 50percent at which point the fans start and it goes no higher.

Carl in nth wales uk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.