Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,
When I idle in traffic even on a cool day my temp. guage goes up about 3/4 on my 1500. Doesnt take long for it to get there, the fans come on and it just stays there until we are traveling again. Is there a thermostat on my bike ? Thought maybe it was getting old or is this a normal temp for my bike...

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
imported post

Hey Tim,

I have a 1500 and even in the hot Tennesse summers in traffic, mine never goes that far. When the fans come on it drops. Something must be out of sorts. Not sure if it has a thermostat or not. Is the coolant old, or maybe low?

Sam

Wingrider

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
imported post

If the thermostat was bad it would not cool down when you are moving. There may be some blockage of the air flow across the radiators so the fans can't move enough air through them. Try flushing out the fins with a water hose from the back side.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I changed the coolant during last winter. So there is a thermostat Dave ? I will try cleaning the grill like you said.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Tank to answer your question.....Yes there is a thermostat on the 1500. It is on top of the engine behind the radiators. I replaced mine when I was having same type problems as you. I removed both radiators and also I pulled out the carbs to get to the thermostat. Not that you have to pull the carbs but it was the only way for me to get my big hands in there to remove the cover to the thermostat.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

thermostste usually fail open which means the engine will never get warm or very slow to get warmm. If it failed closed your bike would overheat especially at speed.
My 1500 is similar it stays near bottom most times but in traffic it goes close to 1/2 gauge. does not seem to be a problem. perhaps it needs cleanning,
wilf

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Yes I checked the lvl. It was fine. Bama did it help when you changed it ?

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Hi Tank , lots of info. for you to digest .
There is a thermostat in all liquid cooled motors to adjust the temp. of the coolant to the applicable motors rated operating temp.
I would clean the rad fins as descibed and check that the previous coolant change you did was done properly.
By this i mean , ensure that no air pockets are in the system . Follow the manual for coolant changing procedures and use a 50/50 mix of PURE antifreeze and DISTILLED water.
Most OEM therms. will fail closed or partially closed , specially labeled FAIL OPEN therms. are available. There is usually a small bypass hole in most therms. to alert you to a overheat without total coolant stoppage .
In short ... flush the cooling system with a good chemical cleaner , refill with the above etc.
You should be good to go.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

I've been chasing similar problem on friend's 1500... One problem found was that the temperature sensor was bad. We replaced that and the temperature reading dropped to a more normal level, yet still a bit high.

Our next effort will be to back-flush the radiators and also try to disolve any lime deposits in there from possible use of tap water by PO.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Tank4300 wrote:
Yes I checked the lvl. It was fine. Bama did it help when you changed it ?
Yes tank it did but as Alex stated I also replaced the Temp sensor while I had it apart. So I am not sure which was the problem but I know I do not have that problem anymore. I now have a brake line problem that I am working on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.