Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Two questions:

1: Know you sell DVD repair cd's. Does it contain a complete wiring schematic? Can you give me a brief description of its contenance? Thanks.

2. On my 1996 GL 1500 SE the feul & temperature gauges don't work, also I cannot go into reverse. I've tested the fuses and all seem to be OK. There is one fuse the doesn't appear to function with the motor running. I have a tool that one side goes to ground and the other end lights up when you touch positive battery.

Is this and electrical or machanical problem?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
imported post

1. I don't believe anyone here sells repair DVD's.

2. Not sure about that problem. Someone else should be able to help.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

wolfride
Might try checking the #3 relay. Try exchanging it with the low beam headlight relay.You say it wont go into reverse , do you mean "R" light will not come on or will not actually engage into reverse. Double check all your fuses . I believe it is a 7.5 amp fuse that also feeds these guages Good luck hope this will help

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

Swap out relay #3 with the one from your air compressor and see if that fixes the problem...Mine did same thing...

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

i had a connection that get loose behind the fuse box causing the connector to get hot, caused the same problem, hope this helps

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum wolfride! :waving:

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

These posts are spot-on about the #3 relay being related to your dash & gauge issue. Have a look there and see what you can find.

The "one fuse that doesn't seem to function" should be a 10Amp fuse and #7 in the box (counting downward from the top fuse) -- this is the Parking fuse and is only powered when the key is in the "PARK" position (all the way anti-clockwise, handlebars locked, the rear 'taillights' will be illuminated in this position). Not having power on this fuse during "RUN" is normal operation; so, nothing to worry over ;)

Welcome on the forum -- many sharp minds here...

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
imported post

If none of the above finds the problem try changing the fuse. I think it is 8th from the top. I had the exact same problem and everything tested fine. I made the mistake of testing the fuses in place. I used a meter to test the back side of the fuses. Well that fuse had a broken leg that connected when I pushed the meter probe on it and showed fine.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for your reply.

When I say no reverse, I mean no "R" light and no reverse.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

Did u check #3 relay? Its located to the right of your fuse panel kind of behind the left saddlebag...you may need to loosen the saddlebag a little to ease the removal of the cover over the relays....#3 should be one on top on the right...

That same exact issue happened to me back in july and it was a bad relay...
When you post back again please tell us what you have checked or replaced so we know where we stand and are able to assist you better...thanks!!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

wolfride wrote:
I cannot go into reverse"
"When I say no reverse, I mean no "R" light and no reverse.
> Did it work before?
> Try cleaning the switch that sits inwards of the reverse handle... Spray some electrical cleaner up through the tiny hole on the bottom, to flush out any dirt. Also verify that the switch wiring is plugged into the adjacent harness.
> Verify that the two cables, from the reverse mechanism, are properly adjusted... eg On the right side of the bike is a mechanical pointer, which has to be in a certain position (via cable adjustment), otherwise it won't work.... See your service manual for instructions.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
imported post

wolfride, did you ever get to the bottom of your problem? What was the cause and fix?

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

My fuel and temp gauge didn't work and it was fuse number 8 on the left hand side of the bike, opposite of the battery side.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I would like to thank everyone for your suggestions. The weather has been toooo good to put the bike in the garage. Bag weather is comming and this will force me to stop riding and get to fixing. I will get back with the results.
Thanks again

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Just a thought, if the guage and "R" light are not related issues, the reverse problem may be due to the neutral indication system. If the bike doesn't know its in neutral, it won't go into reverse. Mine is intermitent as I need to replace the neutral switch up on the front of the engine. I thought it was bad (PO told me about it and supplied the new part) but I found that it sometimes does work. Wolfride, does your neutral light come on when you put the bike in neutral?

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
imported post

I have the same problem as wolfride. I have a 97' SE.

Fuel & temperature gauges don't work, will manually go into reverse but the "R" will not light up.

The 15A fuse mentioned (Tail, Meter, Position) 8 from the top was blown. I replaced it and the gauges worked for 2 seconds and then blew again.

Is the number 3 relay indicated as "Tail (main)" ? I took that one out and replaced it with the one from the air pump. Replaced the fuse and same thing, fuse blown. The spade connectors on that relay look as if they have been hot. The connectors on all the other relays do not.

Hope I have not ruined that relay as well. No I checked, it still works on the compressor.

I must have a short somewhere else. Any ideas ?

And the tail lights don't work but the brake lights do.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

short in the tail lights , more than likely at the connections where you take out the bottom tail light to replace bulbs .. Ciaran

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

wexy wrote:
short in the tail lights , more than likely at the connections where you take out the bottom tail light to replace bulbs .. Ciaran
Hodgy, I'm having the exact same problem as you. Fuse is fine. Relay is fine. I found that removing the outer 2 taillights stopped the fuses from blowing. I'm suspecting Ciaran is right about both our bikes.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
imported post

Well I guess I am having a Tupperware party !

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
imported post

wexy wrote:

Ciaran why the bottom tail lights as opposed to the top (trunk) tail lights ?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.