Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When I release the throttle on my '95 Interstate, the grip doesn't return to theoriginal position. I've lubed the two cablesat the grip end, butthat didn't help.

Any suggestions?

·
Honda Guru
2,043 Posts
imported post

What have you done to it lately? Possible that mis-routing or mis-adjustment of the cables could be the problem. The cables have to have some free play. Adjust the little adjuster screw below the right switch to make sure it's got 1/8"- 1/4" free play.

Or… has the bike been down on the right side? The throttle pipe could be damaged and cause the same problem.

Or…. it could just be a worn cable and time to replace them. It does happen…. cables go bad after XXX number of years. Strongly suggest you replace both cables if that's the problem.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,086 Posts
imported post

Can you push the throttle back to the idle stop? Something is gummed up. Check the cables by disconnecting at the TB. After sitting for 10 years, my 1100 carbs were so gummed up the throttle or choke would not move. The cables were fine. I would make sure this is fixed before ridding it. You wouldn't want to have a Toyota moment.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

The only thing I did to the bike was install a new set of grips prior to going to the Americade back in June. The throttle worked fine during that trip.

The bike sat in the garage for about a month and when I was preparing for my west coast trip, I noticed that the throttle grip was a little slow in returning when I released the grip.

It has gotten progressively worse and now I have to manually twist the throttle back to the original position.

I rode to California and back with this issue, but I need to get it resolved soon. I'm heading down to the Dragon next week and that is not the place to have a sticky throttle!

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,086 Posts
imported post

I would suspect the new grip has something to do with it. Make sure there is clearance on the inner side between the grip and switch housing. It may be dragging. Did you put any kind glue or lube to pull it on? I have heard some people use hair spray install. This could cause the throttle tube and handlebar to drag. This is a safety issue.

·
350 Posts
imported post

Pull the grip off and lube the handle bar before putting back on.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

If you put some slack into the cable (use the cable's in-line adjust about half-way to the tripple-tree), you'll be able to 'feel' if the cable/carb is dragging or if it's the trottle tube/grip on the handle bar.

FWIW, I always fully clean the handlebar under the throttle tube and apply a little silicone grease to the bar anytime I've got the throttle tube/grip off (that heavy hi-temp dielectric stuff works fine for this)- helps to keep out the corrosion and adds a nice silky feel to the right wrist-twist :) (makes my fat-ass happy at least)

How does your cruise-control operation feel? The throttle, cruise, & carb cable-linkages are combined just 'downstream' from the Cruise's Actuator assy -- Combiner box on your '95 is inside the left inner fairing kindaabove/forward of your left knee. Throttle not returning can even be a symptom of failed Cruise valves (adding vacuum to the actuator and not venting on demand)...

Don't overlook the silly simple things too -- the 1500 grips ar longer than many, I've seen the 'end' of a grip causing friction on the end-cap of the handlebar when there was plenty of space at the right-side control cluster...

:gunhead:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.