Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys, my '93 1500 "project" is up and running..!!happy with that,(this bike has not been running for 8+ years) except...at low revs (on "take off" as it were) she hesitates to the point of stalling, unless I give it a bit more "welly", then she takes off and goes fabulously after 2-3,000 revs. Going around corners slowly is a problem when the revs get low, but again, keep 'em up and she performs wonderfully (love the handling compared to the 1200,much more "reactive"). The carbs have been out three (maybe four?) times now, and I have replaced the float valves (were sticking, now good), the levels are correct, the jets on both sides are clean and clear, idles great, 98 octane in the tank, and have just done two adjustments today..1) Tweaked the left side mixture screw one quarter of a turn IN,(they were both 2.5 turns out to start) as the plug was a bit "wet", the other side is a good mid brown color. After the "red line" run today, both sides (rear plug on both sides)are a good color (equally) as color above. 2) Adjusted (with gauges but BEFORE the run) the sync adjustment as per Steves instruction, ...and both carbs reasonably synced.
The vacuum hoses as far as I can see are in very good condition and connected firmly, so, I am a bit lost on my next place to check. Both sides of the bike are running equally warm, and no backfiring when throttling off or "coasting". I am probably missing the obvious, but if you can help, would like to know please, happy to recheck/adjust my previous work or answer questions if necessary 'cos it is getting sooooooo close to the re-paint stage now, am keen to resolve this ....thank you in advance for your thoughts and help.............
:stumped:

·
Administrator
26,561 Posts
imported post

How about the cam timing? Did you replace the belts?

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
imported post

dont kn how this info will help you but here it is.

my 1500 with carbs occasionally had a 2500rpm hesitation until i triked it. now the engine has more of a load it has never hesitated. Mine was never a big concern.. im sure u have already checked the intake air temp controls etc. probably a lean spot for the 1500.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Two things that could cause that, related to the timing advance:
1) Vacuum leak here: http://www.hrot.org/martino/carb/index.htm
2) Air Temperature Sensor (located either on the carb filter box, or nose of bike... Try disconnecting to see if problem goes away)

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yup timing belts replaced and are adjusted correctly, and forgot to mention new air filter. I did pay attention to the condition of the vacuum hoses before re-installing the carbs(as per Jim Martino's info) all looks good.So will go to the air intake bits and see what I can find.
Many thanks.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Hi with the air filter out when you look down the carbs there is a small jet sticking out on each one when you twist the throttle you should get a squirt down each carb this is to take up the lag before the main jets kick in if not the jets are blocked or the accelerator pump is faulty or blocked also i take it by your post the bike is idling ok

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hi Peter, yes it idles fine, will certainly check this out, can I assume you mean for me to run the bike without the filter to test?...and would be correct to say that if one or the other was not working, the cause would be the associated carb jet(s)...but if both no go, then would perhaps be the accelerator pump..??
Many thanks.....

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

You dont have to have the engine running just take the air filter out and when you twist the trottle on the 1500 it pumps gas down the carb troths a small amount mind you but keep doing it and the engine will flood if one is not working i would say its blocked if both most likely the pump or the seal in it, The jets are sticking out in the fiche in the top plate no 10 they are fed through no6 that has two O rings attached again with a small hole in the pipe that most dont clean no 21 is the pump its self

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

That is great thank you, from (recent) memory, the two "o" rings on #6 were not at all tight, perhaps could be a reason for not firing gas into the small jets?(ones on each side and at top of #10 top plate).. (do yer happen to know wot size they are,?) if a good and tight seal is needed for correct pressure/operation?..I think the pump itself was all good, but will recheck if/when I take the carbs out AGAIN..!!!
Many thanks,......

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

The jets are not removeable so no sizes listed you dont have to remove the carbs just do the test i mentioned and if the O rings are at fault you can unscrew the top plate in position and lift it enough to get the feeder pipe out

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Many thanks for that Peter, will do, and cheers to yourself and the forum for your help again....:smiler:

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

I am having a similar problem with my 88 GL1500 and it looks like what it was is something had gotten into one or more of the jets. Basically, pulled the air breather, removed the vacuum hose from the petcock, disconnected the fuel line at the tee and filled it up with Seafoam and let it set overnight. Reconnected, ran it until the Seafoam, and the smoke, cleared then did it a couple more time. Then I revved the engine to 3000 and put my hand over each carb several times until it stalled. In effect "slammed" the carbs. Seems like it cleared things up and will be putting her back together tomorrow...if I can figure out how to get the #3grn hose on the bottom front back on as I put the breather bottom back on.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

corkya wrote:
......if I can figure out how to get the #3grn hose on the bottom front back on as I put the breather bottom back on.
> Real easy way to do that is to remove the right hand fan housing... then reach up and connect the hose by hand.

> The other way, though harder, is to use a 1ft long set of needle nose pliers

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

Thanks Alex. I bought a pair of 18 inchers today, but holding the hose and getting the bottom into place may be a lot tougher than just removing that housing section. Are you meaning the housing portion with the 2 hex head bolts on top and will I have to remove the fan along with it?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

corkya wrote:
Thanks Alex. I bought a pair of 18 inchers today, but holding the hose and getting the bottom into place may be a lot tougher than just removing that housing section. Are you meaning the housing portion with the 2 hex head bolts on top and will I have to remove the fan along with it?
> Yes, remove the housing that you describe (which contains the fan inside of it).

> You can also install the hose with pliers, however then it has a nasty habit of disconnecting (unobserved) while you're reinstalling the air filter housing... That won't happen if you do it via the fan route.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

Alex, I took the two bolts out on top of the fan housing, disconnected that elect connection that goes through the bottom right, but cannot pull the housing out! Is there something else holding it in place on the bottom?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

corkya wrote:
Alex, I took the two bolts out on top of the fan housing, disconnected that elect connection that goes through the bottom right, but cannot pull the housing out! Is there something else holding it in place on the bottom?
> Yes, the fan housing has a Pin on the front/bottom of it (facing the radiator)... you will need to slighly Lift the housing, to dis-engage that pin, then pull the housing straight outwards from the bike.

> It always takes a lot of wrangling to get these out.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

Two steps forward one step back. Okay, so I got it up over the pin, but couldn't get the housing to clear the section of fairing that is still on below the mirror and that piece wraps all the way around....grrrrrr. Feel like I am a primatebefore they had thumbs.......:whip:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

corkya wrote:
Two steps forward one step back. Okay, so I got it up over the pin, but couldn't get the housing to clear the section of fairing that is still on below the mirror and that piece wraps all the way around....grrrrrr. Feel like am a primatebefore they had thumbs.......:whip:
> Note that, atop the fan housing, is a bank of (5?) wire connectors... Remove that bank by unsnapping it from the housing (it clips together with a tongue and groove in 2 places)... The housing should then be free from further hanging up.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

So, I shouldn't have to take that section of fairing off? Sorry, but I am learning way more about this bike over the course of 5 days than I thought I would. Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.