Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully the picture shows up. I'm guessing this is not a stock throttle tube setup, but I wanted to get some input from the pro's here. Did the PO put a throttle tube OVER TOP of the stock tube? There is a set of cable hookups that sit outside the switch housing as well as the ones that are actually used inside the switch. Fairly certain the PO wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, judging by things I've found. It's a 91 aspencade if it matters.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
26,576 Posts
Looks to me like you may be right. Someone used a grip for 1" bars and slid it over the original throttle tube. Would have worked out better if he had cut that part off.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Maybe he had big hands and wanted bigger grip,does look shoddy though,what is the wide black piece.
while your in there spray some lubercation on your switches,will save u some headache later.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinking of replacing the grips and I'm trying to figure out if I will need to order a new throttle tube as well. Hopefully I can get this mess off without damaging anything. I'm not sure why people like these large diameter grips, I've got fairly big hands and I still prefer thin mx style grips.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what is the wide black piece.
while your in there spray some lubercation on your switches,will save u some headache later.
That is a velcro strap I use to hold the brake lever. What type of lube is recommended for those switches?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
CFC makes a spray cleaner/ lube that works good,Home Depot I think has it
EVERY 1500 will have issues with the switches soon or later,starter button quits,hi lo beam,cruise ALL the switches will stop working and 99% time that’s what it is so just be prepared,some use wd40 some say don’t,I drop marvel mystery in my keyed switches

Reactions: dwade

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,203 Posts
CRC makes a spray cleaner/ lube that works good, Home Depot I think has it
EVERY 1500 will have issues with the switches soon or later,starter button quits,hi lo beam,cruise ALL the switches will stop working and 99% time that’s what it is so just be prepared,some use wd40 some say don’t,I drop marvel mystery in my keyed switches
yes, they do, and yes, Home Depot does stock it as a reasonable price.

I keep it on hand always. on my outside Rural Mailbox, the keylock gets cranky over time, CRC 2-26 makes it smooth as glass and keeps it that way.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
John I coudnt recall that particular name,I knew you would be along.thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome, thanks for the info! I will make sure to lube those switches up sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Use the CRC Electronic Contact Cleaner. Not the multi lube. The contact cleaner is made to clean and dry lube switches like the speed up and down.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
CRC Electronics Cleaner is good stuff, need to order / get more. No harm to plastics either, not conductive but I'd spray it and let dry before powering up. On that throttle tube over top a throttle tube, I'd get another OEM either used like off Ebay … or new … if rescue fails … and fit grips that fit the bike.

I would almost bet a buddy of the PO rode HDs and gave him grips and well … he felt like had to adapt up?

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
The places that require lubercation can’t be accessed with solid lubercant,that would work great if the switch was disassembled.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would almost bet a buddy of the PO rode HDs and gave him grips and well … he felt like had to adapt up?
This isn't the first time I've run into something on this rig the PO did that had me scratching my head and asking why. Like when I found that he had tapped into the air jet solenoid power wire to get power for something.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts