Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of some help here brothers I am at a loss and don't know where to go from here. I have a ticking noise only on the right side that goes with the rev of the engine I have been trying to tackle for sometime please take the time to read this thread it will give you a little history. http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/392370-gl1500-reed-valve-tick.html

Some parts came off a 94 engine I have sitting in the garage with a bad 4th gear.

This is what I have done so far..

1: I have changed all gaskets, manifold ,exhaust header (new)
2: changed out reed valve (off 94 engine)
3: changed out the head (right) from the 94 engine (new gasket)
4: changed out air control valve (off 94 engine)
5: carb sync
6: spark plugs are gaped in spec and brand new

I have looked over the exhaust header it looks fine no rattles at all or small holes very little rust.
Again the tick is the loudest at the reed valve.
I had a friend come over and listen and he has confirmed it is not the valves ect, again I changed the head.(he is a master mechanic for Volvo and I needed his ear).

:?:praying::?:praying::?:praying:

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
Check the speedo cable at the gauge.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The speedometer cable will tick if the bike is in neutral and not moving and sitting on the center stand I didn't know that.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Double check the timing belt marks are timed properly. If off a tooth you will hear the valves ticking on the pistons. (You said you replaced the head)

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Timing is dead on perfect !! it has been triple checked to make sure it is on the marks.

·
X-Roughneck
1,229 Posts
Do any good to pull the valve cover at watch/hear #1.Almost sounds like either a valve not quite seating or possibly a head gasket. Does the sound go away if you pull #1 plug wire off?

Might look at the plug seat itself too,or switch plugs around.
Spray flammable cleaner all around suction ports while running to see if engine revs?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I had an old chevy that would do the same thing when the oil was dirty. Pluged up oil passage to one of the valve lifters?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
1: I have changed all gaskets, manifold ,exhaust header (new)
Possible leak at the exhaust header, where it connects to the engine?... That will make a ticking sound

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The oil is clean has less then a 1000 miles on it.
Yes it's still there if I pull plug #1
Plugs are brand new and gaped to specs.
From the look of things oil is flowing with no restrictions.
This doesn't sound like a valve tick plus it's the loudest at the reed valve which I changed out with one from the 94 engine.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
I had that same problem on my 1500. Turned out to be the header. Found out it had baffles inside that couldn't be seen just by looking at it. Changed the header and the old girl sounded like a new bike.

:18black:

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been thinking that myself but wouldn't the ticking be coming from the header not up top and I didn't hear anything rattling which I would guess it doesn't have too. I will be ordering a exhaust header off ebay for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.