Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right. You may have seen from another post of mine that I have recently changed the LCD screen on my GL1500 for a new one supplied by Tanin Autoelectronix. Initially I had an issue with this and the 'bulb test' sequence not working but discovered that there was a fault with the suspension increase / decrease switch, which I have now disconnected for the time being.

Everything seemed to be working as it should so I reassembled the dash back into the bike. I have now discovered, to my extreme annoyance, that the time keeps changing unexpectedly. Not a major problem but something I just didn't expect.

Any ideas anyone? :frown2::frown2:

·
Registered
2000 GL1500SE
1,376 Posts
Probably there is a loose, corroded or bad cantact/wire somewhere on the circuit.
And that might be the previous problem as well.

·
It aint rocket science
3,889 Posts
Are your motorcycles purchased with known electrical problems or do they appear after ownership?:?

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Einstein will tell you that time will slow down as you approach the speed of light. Maybe keep it to the speed limit for a while. :cheesygrin:

Reactions: Ken Bergen

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are your motorcycles purchased with known electrical problems or do they appear after ownership?:?
Don't really understand why you asked this question, but I can tell you that I didn't know about the issue with the clock has I couldn't read the LCD screen prior to it's replacement.
:surprise::surprise:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chris, Check the # 13 Backup "5-amp" fuse in the relay box. It controls memory power for the clock, radio presets and CB channel's when the ignition is OFF. That fuse has power even when the ignition switch is turned OFF......! If that fuse (or its contacts) are bad the clock will not maintain correct time when the ignition is turned OFF.
DBohrer. I did check this the other day, when I had the initial issue with a blank LCD screen, and intend to test it again today, if the weather will allow? Other than that, I was going to dismantle the whole thing again and clean the LCD contacts as detailed in the other post. Very annoying after reassembly, but I have to no other option if the backup fuse is okay :praying:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Okay people. Here is an update. I checked the 5 amp ' backup' fuse as mentioned and this was absolutely fine. I then stripped down the dash / LCD screen, cleaned the circuit board as described in another post, reassembled, but still no joy.

A little fed up I thought I'd take one final look at this, so stripped down the dash / LCD screen once more and then cleaned the small rubber type strips (don't know the correct name for these) but they fit down the sides and form the connections from the circuit board to the LCD screen.

Take a look at this link here; https://hmong.video/video/hmong.video/video/6grw3o49jcjma60nmqgfqz.html

These proved to be be a little dusty, so using some electrical switch cleaner and small toothbrush, gave them a good clean, and this seems to have done the job!

Just thought I'd post my findings for any of you that has a similar issue? :claps::claps:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Right everyone. I'm getting really fed up with this now. I really thought I'd sorted the problem, but apparently not. I haven't done anything with this since my last post or over the Christmas holiday period. This morning I thought I'd remove the battery for charging, but prior to doing so, thought I'd just start her up and check out everything. Unfortunately, back to how it was before with time changing randomly on the LCD screen.

The suspension switches are still disconnected so these cannot have any bearing on this problem. What I have noticed however, is that the 'bulb test' sequence seems to go very quickly now compared to when all is working as it should. I don't know if this will affect the issue or not?

I've been going over and over in my mind what could have happened but I haven't touched the bike for a couple of days or so. However, I will say the bike is not garaged but parked outside the house and the weather in the UK is now turning much colder. I know humidity could effect this, but what about the cold?

Any further ideas anyone?

Addendum:
Just for 'piece of mind' I have just had an hair dryer blowing up and under the dash / meter assembly for around 30 minutes or so but to no avail. :frown2::frown2:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Still problems with lcd time changing randomly

Right everyone I just thought I'd start another thread about the LCD screen time changing randomly. Apparently quite a common problem on some years?

Anyway, I'm getting really fed up with this now. You will see from my other posts that I thought I'd sorted this problem, but apparently not. I haven't done anything with this since my last post or over the Christmas holiday period. This morning I thought I'd remove the battery for charging, but prior to doing so, thought I'd just start her up and check out everything. Unfortunately, back to how it was before with time changing randomly on the LCD screen.

The suspension switches are still disconnected so these cannot have any bearing on this problem. What I have noticed however, is that the 'bulb test' sequence seems to go very quickly now compared to when all is working as it should. I don't know if this will affect the issue or not?

I've been going over and over in my mind what could have happened but I haven't touched the bike for a couple of days or so. However, I will say that I do not have garage facilities for the bike so it is parked outside the house and the weather in the UK is now turning much colder. I know humidity can possibly affect this, but what about the cold?

Any further ideas anyone? :frown2::frown2:

Addendum:
Just for 'piece of mind' I have checked the 5amp backup fuse again, which is fine, and had an hair dryer blowing up and under the dash / meter assembly for around 30 minutes or so but to no avail.

·
Administrator
25,565 Posts
Right everyone I just thought I'd start another thread about the LCD screen time changing randomly. Apparently quite a common problem on some years?
No, starting another thread only causes problems. If someone else is looking for answers and the thread just ends with no solution it just causes frustration.

Your problem is either a bad connection or the LCD you just got is bad. There are 2 ground wires to the LCD, a green and a green/black, both with multiple connections before reaching the main ground. I would suggest tying another wire into those and grounding it to the frame.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, starting another thread only causes problems. If someone else is looking for answers and the thread just ends with no solution it just causes frustration.

Your problem is either a bad connection or the LCD you just got is bad. There are 2 ground wires to the LCD, a green and a green/black, both with multiple connections before reaching the main ground. I would suggest tying another wire into those and grounding it to the frame.
Thanks Dave. Sorry about starting another thread. I didn't consider the ground connections only the main Red/Yel wire from the backup fuse. Did think of running another feed wire to see if that helps? Suppose I could do both?

·
Administrator
25,565 Posts
Thanks Dave. Sorry about starting another thread. I didn't consider the ground connections only the main Red/Yel wire from the backup fuse. Did think of running another feed wire to see if that helps? Suppose I could do both?
Ground is at least as important as the power. If you do both at once we may never know which was the fault.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Is it changing or RESETTING? If it goes back to 1:00 or 12:00 (not sure of the default) it is a power or ground issue. If drops 2hrs 5minutes or adds 1hr 15 min, it's a logic problem. Try disconnecting the battery terminals and connecting them to each other for @ 30 seconds (zero point reset). You mentioned charging the battery and/or removing it. Disconnecting and reconnecting a battery can screw up the clocks logic. You may be your own worst enemy.....

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ground is at least as important as the power. If you do both at once we may never know which was the fault.
Just an update. Have run separate ground wires from Green and Green/Black wire at the C16 connector to ground but still no joy. Tested the Yellow/Red at the C91 connector and constant power was present. Have removed the meter / dash assembly again and will take a further look at it tomorrow if I have time. Still cannot locate the issue!
:|:frown2::|

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is it changing or RESETTING? If it goes back to 1:00 or 12:00 (not sure of the default) it is a power or ground issue. If drops 2hrs 5minutes or adds 1hr 15 min, it's a logic problem. Try disconnecting the battery terminals and connecting them to each other for @ 30 seconds (zero point reset). You mentioned charging the battery and/or removing it. Disconnecting and reconnecting a battery can screw up the clocks logic. You may be your own worst enemy.....
No. That's not it. It doesn't drop but runs fast very, very quickly. I was watching it intently again today and the clock can go from 11:00 to 11:45 in just a couple of minutes or so for example! The 'bulb test' feature also goes through its sequence far too quickly when turning the key on. Apparently these are linked through the LCD circuitry? Can also be caused if fuse 13 has blown thus no constant power for the memory so I'm led to believe.

I usually charge the battery with an Optimate 4 on the bike, but the other day it was raining and just thought it best to charge it indoors. Hence the main reason for removing it. Not my normal procedure. :surprise:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts