Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So to open a big can of timing belt worms...

Has anyone used the CHEAP Timing belts offered on EBAY apparently made in China/Korea and had problems with them?

I have priced so far.

Honda $$ $100+ each

CycleMax Ohio$$ $65.00 each (Honda OEM)

Napa $36.00 each

Goodyear $60.00each

Cheap EBAY $30 to $50.00 for the pair

Also, who makes the expensive belts? the Cheap Chinese companies and then sells them to the other more expensive sellers??:baffled::baffled::baffled:

So again the question is this..

Has anyone used and had major issues with the cheap Chinese/Korean belts?

Opinions PLEASE!!:cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

I know we all want to participate so come on let's hear your input!!

Thanks and have a great debate!!:clapper::clapper::clapper:

Also, what car do these aftermarket belts fit into?

I got that question more than I care to repeat... These new parts sellers don't know how to cross reference a part# very well..
:X

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

at present i am useing gates belts from most any where i can get them the cheapest . no problems---

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I have found that the GL1100/1200 belts aremuch cheaper in cost aftermarket than the GL1500 belts..

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I bought GATEs belts from Autorock online for less than $40.00 a set.

Your auto parts stores are getting better about using name brands. But, if one goes to these stores (and I am sure we all do) it is usually based on cost. Sure, we may have a little choice as we get little smarter, but other times we are just stuck with what is on their shelf. Quality is subjective, but by word of mouthwe tend to screw the information. Could be good, could be bad.

I am sure those belts would work just fine, but I would opt not to use them knowinga little that there are some relatively goodbelts at acceptable prices.

Let me say it this way. Has anyone known a new timing belt that failed and destroyed any engine? Aftermarket/Chinese. I just have not heardany these stories.

We could always ask mother honda - well maybe not. All OEMs will state to use "Guinuine OEM" parts. Many times I agree their parts are superior, but money becomes a deciding factor. It is just how low can we go and what or comfort level would be.

Are Gates Chineese/Koren? I just know they were cheap and I heard of that name before.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

For the damage a junk belt could cause, go with the name brands. JMHO jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Yes, Gates are a well known brand.

·
Administrator
26,576 Posts
imported post

Gates make the belts for Honda, nuf said.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Mr Fix it

Head on over to either aBuffalo, or Niagra Falls Napa dealer. Cheaper there than any Canadian source. :baffled:

Think I paid $26each at the Napa(Gates belts)in Oroville WA. :waving:

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
imported post

:)Just paid £45 for a pair of Gates T275 on ebay UK, for my bike fitted in a couple of hours, they are a lot cheaper the OEM and apparently made for honda any way.
Regards Spav

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Ditto on the T275 Gates. Got 'em local and like 24 bucks apiece.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
imported post

I just changed my belts and added a 4* trigger wheel. I pondered the cheap belts but decided to go with Honda belts from Cyclemax. Some things I just like the peace of mind.

As far as the trigger wheel, temps hit 50 here yesterday and got to take her for a test ride. Hesitation-GONE!:cool:

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

I bought Gates belts for my 1500 at O'Rileys for about 62 dollars total for both. I ordered them around 5 pm on a Friday and had them Saturday morning. Great service!

The local Honda shop parts man(fellow drummer) told me something I already knew, "buy them through a parts house instead of paying us 70 some odd dollars a piece for them."

If I'm not mistaken, I think mine were stamped as being made here in the USA.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

I tried to get my 1500 belts through NAPA up here but they were out of stock and didn't know when they were coming in. The combination of indifferent attitude and riding season approaching made me go to the local Honda dealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.