Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the timing belts on my '95 - 53K miles on the clock. The belts didn't show any wear.

Prior to replacing the original belts, I didn't watch the belts/tensioners/pulleys while the engine was running. After making the replacement, I see that there is a little bit (I don't know how to measure this) of runout of the crankshaft pulley when the engine is running. While the belts were removed, I checked the cam shaft and crank pulleys, finding no evidence of looseness or keyway wear. Has anyone else noticed this? Given that the original belts showed no damage or wear, do you think this will be a problem?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...After making the replacement, I see that there is a little bit (I don't know how to measure this) of runout of the crankshaft pulley when the engine is running. While the belts were removed, I checked the cam shaft and crank pulleys, finding no evidence of looseness or keyway wear...
Are you saying that the belt/s display runout (eg Out-of-Round condition) when spinning on the crankshaft pulley? If so, then perhaps the teeth on the new belt/s are defective... I've never heard of such a thing though.. Guess I have to ask, How Much is the Runout?

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The belts do not display the "out of round" condition you describe. They sit sollidly in the groove of the crankshaft pully. I am not sure how to characterize the amount of runout at the crankshaft pully other than to say that when looking at it from the side (rather than from the front) I can see that one edge of the pully, say the top edge, is not steady. The "wobble" is not very pronounced, but enough to catch my untrained eye. Viewing the crankshaft pully nut from the side, it displays the runout as well.

Viewed from the side, neither the tensioners nor the camshaft pulleys display the runout.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,357 Posts
I don't see how you could have done anything while replacing the belts to cause something like that. It likely was that way before you started. If it was mine I wouldn't worrry about it.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
The belts do not display the "out of round" condition you describe. They sit sollidly in the groove of the crankshaft pully. I am not sure how to characterize the amount of runout at the crankshaft pully other than to say that when looking at it from the side (rather than from the front) I can see that one edge of the pully, say the top edge, is not steady. The "wobble" is not very pronounced, but enough to catch my untrained eye. Viewing the crankshaft pully nut from the side, it displays the runout as well.

Viewed from the side, neither the tensioners nor the camshaft pulleys display the runout.
So then, the Movement is along the length of the bike (fore/aft)?... in which case, there's nothing you can do about that short of replacing the crankshaft pulley. But then, I doubt that is necessary, because so long as the belts move Together (fore/aft) then there would not be any excessive wear due to the belt/s sliding across the width of the teeth on the pulley.

Is there any obvious Impact Damage to the crankshaft pulley?... perhaps from an accident?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
ALEX BERECZKY;17302 Is there any obvious Impact Damage to the crankshaft pulley?... perhaps from an accident?[/QUOTE said:
Kinda like a propeller stike on a plane?

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it the pulleys where you're seeing the run-out or the belt guide washers?
Hmmm...based on your lead, I looked at parts diagrams for the crank shaft and timing pully assembly. The Honda service manual shows the timing belt guide plates to which you refer.

That, indeed, is where I see the runout. Based on the good condition of my old belts, I guess the wobbling guide plates wont be an issue. The actual pully on which the belt rides is correctly attached to the shaft. Short of a crash, I couldn't imagine the crank shaft end getting out of whack. I think I am going to button the thing up as-is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.