Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 93 GL1500 has 54,000 miles. I bought her used. There is no way to find out if the belt has been chnged, however I dont think it has ever been changed. Am I running dangerously?

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

No but for your pieace of mind you should. it is rather old and not alot miles. I understand 1500 are not to hard to change belts on. I'll be doing mine soon.
wilf

Replacing Timing Belts on a GL1500

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,204 Posts
imported post

54,000 isn't much but '93means those belts could be 18 years old and 54K in 18 years means that bike has done more standing than riding, I'd change 'em out, lots of help on hereto doit, if you need it. & Welcome!;)

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
590 Posts
imported post

I did my 1500 last winter; it is not hard to do, easier to do if the front wheel and forks are off for maint. I did it both ways, not telling why I was in there twice. First time I was replacing forks and Triple tree and decided to get the belts at the same time. A good lesson on removing the plastic stuff and keeping track of all the screws and parts. There is some very good step by step instructions here on the site in the Tech Page area. First time you will spend a couple hours taking it all apart. Also a good time to drain the Coolant and check the hoses and hose clamps. Also time to check the other area's of concern. The Air Filter, Sub Filter, Cruise Filter, Air Compressor Filters and Desicant. You will find some of the greatest help from the members of this site. All you have to do is ask.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks Mechtech 1. I just found this site tonight. I used to go on the tech boards at GWRRA, but I did not renew my membership, so they kicked me off. This looks like a great source and thanks for the welcome everyone.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Mechtech, I dont think the sub air filter has ever been changed and I remember reading that it could fall apart. Is it possible that fragents have been sucked into the carbs?

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

Lots of threads on here about changing the belts. Key to it all is to take your time.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

getyrzs wrote:
Mechtech, I dont think the sub air filter has ever been changed and I remember reading that it could fall apart. Is it possible that fragents have been sucked into the carbs?
Possible, only if it was touched & not changed but probably not. If they are dried out they crumble easy. If its not there, then worry, not now.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

I understand the requirements to change out the timing belts, but has anyone ever heard of a belt breaking on it own and ruining an engine? It seem most of the timing belt problems are caused by owners when changing the belts.

·
751 Posts
imported post

This is one topic that has many differances of opinion ! The po of my bike said that you don`t need to change out the belt but rather Inspect the belts at 100,000 mi I didn`t trust what he said so I did mine at 58,000 miles & My bike now has 95,000 on it so 43,000 miles ago A good rule of thumb is the subaru rule change out timming belts at 60,000 miles & This is what Im stickin to Techs & Other folks on here will tell you differant things so Iwould say since you bike has sat a longer period of time it would be a good time to do it as well as other items such as a tune-up , tripple hydro flush ( front brake,rear brake & clutch fluid change as well as coolant & Brake lines & pads since the weather is getting cooler is a good time to get your bike ready for winter & Maintaniance ! this my story & Im stickin to it !

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
imported post

gford wrote:
I understand the requirements to change out the timing belts, but has anyone ever heard of a belt breaking on it own and ruining an engine? It seem most of the timing belt problems are caused by owners when changing the belts.
I agree. And on the forum we hear little about a belt fail. (human error aside)

Not to say it is not a catastrophic event if it should happen....or that it should not be taken care of......but true belt fail is rare from my readings here. I think many have the crap scared out of them. And head in too fast and break the motor.

I have done them on my 1100 and struggled with spring tension on the toothed pulleys. But When I did them on my 1500 I was glad they stayed put for me. And I had more room as well. I would say for sure the job is much easier on the 1500. And I also believe that the 1500 is allot easier on those belts then my 1100. Round teeth instead of square......and improved technology. I personally think the belts on a 1500 would last longer then those of the 1100.

RED

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

gford wrote:
[align=left][/align]

Oh yes, three times. One was a forum member with I think a GL1100 with unknown belt history, one of them broke. I know of one lad with a GL1200 in County Louth. Bought the Wing from a dealer in Dublin, had it about 18 months and one of the belts broke. Again unknown history. The last one was a lad I know in London with a GL1000 that was laid up for a couple of years. It only had around 35000 miles from new. Broke a belt on his first run out after the long layup.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
imported post

gford wrote:
....has anyone ever heard of a belt breaking on it own and ruining an engine?.........
One time. GL1500 with low mileage, 50,000kms. One piston damaged also.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
imported post

Did mine at 106,000 miles about 30 days ago..

I took pictures of the OLD belts...

No visible cracking, or wear...

HOWEVER I am glad I did it...Now I KNOW I can go anothere 100K with no worry..

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Make sure you check the idler pulleys when you change the belts. They should spin freely. If one of them locks up it will wear a belt out to the point of breaking one.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.