Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I finally quit procrastinating working on the wife's 1988 GL1500 trike and got 'er done today. Used the directions from the forum and everything went according to plan. The right belt (as you sit on the bike) was very loose (3/4" - 1" slack) and the left belt was not quite as loose but not as tight as it should have been. They looked pretty good, with no cracks or sign of wear, but they are now outta there!

The new belts and 4-degree trigger wheel went on without a hitch. Turned the engine by hand a few revolutionswith everything lining up on the marks.Bolted her back together and gave it a test run with no problems. Got to synch the carbs and put the plastic back on, then will do a few miles to check it out.

Great site for Goldwingers!

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
imported post

where did you get new belts? How much are they? Are timing belts one of those parts that one should go OEM or is aftermarket okay? I've got an 84 and even though it only has 37k on the odometer, I read here that if they are old it doesn't matter how few miles are on them they need to be replaced so I gotta do 'em. BTW, congrats on a job well done. The test drive after the last bolt is torqued? Priceless.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
imported post

Well done Jmcannonball, I`m sure it will run like a sowing machine when you get it on the road.

escogold, you can do your own belts with info from this forum, I did mine a couple of weeks back useing RUDY`S guide, you really can`t go wrong, and I am a carpenter, it is not difficult if you can follow instruction.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
imported post

I recently did my timing belts too. I used the napa belts. They were like $45US for both.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
imported post

Okay thx. I always (well almost always) do my homework first before taking on something new and seems as though no better reference than right here at home on the forum. again, thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.