Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know what the max tongue weight is on gl 1500 se /rear gross axle weight rating ! :)

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Are you looking for the Max Tongue Weight of a Trailer, when hooked up to a GL1500? ...or the Max Weight allowed on the rear wheel of a GL1500?

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Are you riding one up or two up?
I have hauled a trailer from PA to FL that had a 50 pound tongue weight riding two up with my 1800. Did sell that trailer, because I thought it was too much for the bike, but there is a member here that hauls the same trailer with his 1500.
Really need to keep saddle bag weigh to a minimum when hauling a trailer.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
riding one up and need both the weights...max tongue also max on rear wheel

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Max carry weight of the 1800 is about 410 pounds, and the 1500 should be close to that. Tongue weight would be determined by the maker of your style hitch. Riding one up will definetly give you much more leeway. Most riders seem to want to stay at or below 30 pounds hitch weight, but this is just a random number used by many.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I have had my tongue weight varied from 20# to 50#, mostly determined by the weight of what is in the trailer. The heavier the trailer, the more the tongue weight. Last trip I took, trailer and gear guessed weight at around 350 - 375 pounds. I had the tongue weight at just under 30 pounds. It didn't pull well so I stopped and added more to the front of the trailer,adding about 10 pounds to the tongue weight and it rode great.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just filling in a travel trailer weight calculator and it asks for 9 different calculations and wont let me get anything wrong or it rejects it, they are just starting to tighten up on the laws over here ...thnxs for ur help guys !

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I have had my tongue weight varied from 20# to 50#, mostly determined by the weight of what is in the trailer. The heavier the trailer, the more the tongue weight. Last trip I took, trailer and gear guessed weight at around 350 - 375 pounds. I had the tongue weight at just under 30 pounds. It didn't pull well so I stopped and added more to the front of the trailer,adding about 10 pounds to the tongue weight and it rode great.
With a NON 'fifth wheel' style trailer, the tongue weight should (typicly) be 10% - 15% of the GROSS weight of the trailer. Any less than the 10% CAN induce handling issues that can be VERY bad on a bike. This is why yours did better with the numbers you gave. I see lots of threads on this topic, and many people post a weigh range rather than a percentage range, and that could make for a bad situation depending on the numbers used.

The maker of the hitch normally gives a max tongue weight, the maker of the trailer will have a max weight rating, and the bike will also have a max load rating; ALL need to be adheared to with the lowest rating taking priority.

Bill

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Calc:
+793 lbs dry weight on both wheels ( http://www.goldwingworld.com/pages/specgl1500.htm )
+200 lbs weight of one rider, estimated
+38 lb weight of full tank of gas (6 gallons at 6.25lb/gal)
_______
= 1,031 lbs Total weight (Bike, rider, gas)
/2
= 515 lbs Weight on either front or rear tire only (1/2 Total weight)

Givens:
561 lbs Capacity of front tire (Dunlop E3 bias)http://www.jpcycles.com/product/217-306

937 lbs Capacity of rear tire (Dunlop E3 bias)
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/217-261

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...=35&s_kwcid=TC-21265-4293925671-bb-235780897&

Calc:
FRONT REAR
TIRE TIRE
561 lb 937 lb Capacity
-515 -515 lb
______ ______
= 46 422 lb Excess capacity remaining per tire (eg Tongue weight capacity for the rear)

However, rear E3's (and other motorcycle tires) commonly fail at the "normal" capacities listed... Which is why I use a Car Tire rated at 2,028 lbs capacity, giving a 3x larger safety margin for the Rear: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=195

FRONT REAR
TIRE TIRE
561 lb 2,028 lb Capacity
-515 -515 lb
______ ______
= 46 1,513 lb Excess capacity remaining per tire (eg Tongue weight capacity for the rear)

-------------

The Tonque Weight of the trailer, as Bill mentioned, is a PERCENTAGE of the trailer weight (not an absolute value!), typically 10% minimum.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Good math Alex ( you know I love the math)!

Looking at the Owners manual from '89 there's a few bits that just help to confuse the topic:

this is taken from the "Loading and Accessories" portion of the manual - (I've redacted the bits that don't seem point-relevant)

1989 Owners Manual said:
The combined weight of the rider, passenger, cargo and additional accessories must not exceed the maximum weight capacity: 185 kg (408 Lbs)
Cargo weight alone should not exceed:
* 27 kg (60 Lbs)
5) Do not exceed maximum capacity load of Honda accessories.
* Travel trunk: 9 kg (20 Lbs)
* Saddlebags: 9 kg (20 Lbs) each side
* Fairing pockets: 2 kg (5 Lbs) each side
These same values are echoed in the Specifications and/or the pages for the trunk/saddlebags.

I often hear discussion on maximum tongue weight in the 27kg (60lb) range since most common hitches mount to the saddlebag frame; further, that the maximum tongue weight should be reduced by bag-content weight to stay within the OEM specified load limits.

Of course, this has little to do with practical maximums and GAWR.

To bring one different source into the picture, the GAWR Rear from the VIN sticker on my '88 shows to be 810lbs (470lbs - front, for reference). GAWR = Gross Axle Weight Rating, wich directly addresses one of the OP questions.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...I often hear discussion on maximum tongue weight in the 27kg (60lb) range since most common hitches mount to the saddlebag frame...
As a practical consideration, a Tonque Weight above 30 lbs causes the bike to do a standing-wheelie when parked on the centerstand... probably not a good idea.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
anyone know what the max tongue weight is on gl 1500 se /rear gross axle weight rating ! :)
(TW = Tongue weight)
According to MaMa Honda, max TW is "0".
All us who haul trailers know better.
Probably the best tire to take the sidewall note from are Elite 3's.
The front E-3 states 600 lbs.
The rear E-3 states 998 lbs.

Personally I've once hauled about 90 lbs on the tongue. My hitch (like others) is hooked up to the saddlebag sub-frame. I DO NOT RECOMMEND that much TW on a bike, just stating how much it has/can handle. IF you don't carry anything in the trunk and bags, add those 3 weights. That's 60 lbs. So in theory the TW can be 60 lbs. which is the sub-frames limit. (Travel trunk 20 lbs. Saddlebags 20 lbs. each side)

There is more to TW than what most tell you. But almost everyone stays within the generic limits.
If your trailer is cutting the air you can lower the TW. If the trailer has a flat front the air will push it back thus lifting the tongue. Hence more TW is needed to keep it down.
One thing you NEED to know about trailer loading. Be sure both trailer tires have near equal amount of load. Behind a car you don't feel the trailer bouncing, a bike YOU WILL.

But I suggest to stay under 40-45 lbs. The 15% of the trailer as TW is generic. I regularly haul 400-600 lbs on NASSIR trips. The average TW I'm at is around 35 lbs. (40 lbs if Bailey put on some weight)
The way I built my trailer, it cuts the air. Our NASSIR 2 trip the trailers load was about 550 lbs. That TW should have been around 80 lbs. But my TW weighed in around 40 lbs. I had no problems at all, even at 75 mph. NASSIR 1 trip was different. That trailer's front was flat and weighted 400 lbs. At 65 mph I got oscillations in the handlebars. I added some more weight to the trailers front until it stopped wiggling. Curious, when I got home and weighed the tongue, 65 lbs!

ENJOY your trailer!!!
FM :action:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Tongue weight

Last summer I put 7,500 miles on my 93 gl1500 and the summer before that 7000 miles pulling a kwik kamp trailer loaded and weighing around 600 lbs and riding two up. I weigh about 160 and she weighs around 145 "shhhhhh don't tell her I said that" . Side boxes and top box all with at least 20 lbs a piece and a large roll bag straped to the top of the top box. My tongue weight was 75 lbs or more at times depending on what I had in the cooler. If I tried to have less weight on the tongue the trailer would weave all over the place. Never had any problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.