Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So any moderate to major bump in the road, I hear this "kathunk" (or maybe it's more of a "thud"), and I thought something on the front lower cowl was loose... it's actually my top box lid, at least pretty sure.

With the lid closed (and locked), there's the smallest amount of vertical play (pulling up on the handle lid causes a slight amount of movement), and I mean small, but it's enough that when gravity tries to separate the lid from case, and then back together again it's enough for the "kathunk/thud". I'm getting more used to it (assuming that's what it is), but wondered if anybody else experienced this, if anything stopped the kathunking?

I've played with air pressure in the rear shock (softer vs firmer ride), no real difference... that was about my only idea ...

Thanks for any input/ideas/condolences :)!
-Daniel

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

There are two latches attached to the top lid that can be adjusted. Each has 2 phillips head screws. Just loosen the screws and do small adjustments and tighten them back before closing the lid. They have probably been pulled out a little bit over the years and have to be adjusted slightly inwards.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

If all else fails, try some foam weatherstripping. A thin piece will compress, taking up the slack in the latch, and hopefully you'll be done. Used this method on my previous bike ('83 Venture), worked great.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
imported post

Check out the hinges too, the pivots can wear and start rattling.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

Is there a chance the rubber strap on your tool kit is broken/missing and the tool kit is thunking around over bumps ?

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Good thought on the toolkit strap...but I took it out a while ago. In this case I adjusted the two phillips head screws holding the two lid latches...moved them back a bit...couple of test shuts, it's as snug as a bug in a rug! Awesome! Thanks for the great input all!
-Daniel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.