Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1991 GL 1500 trike that when shift from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th I get a chatter. I do not get this noise 2nd to 3rd or 4th to 5th. Can anybody tell me what is wrong?

Thanks
redh01

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Is it there still when bike is pointed downhill or uphill, in gear and in neutral??
Has it popped out of 4th gear?

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
I don't have a clue, but I did have sort of a chatter, and it was only in lower gears. I accidently cured the chatter when I replaced my alternator and put new rubber dampners in the alternator drive housing. Just a shot in the dark. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank You, But this only when i shift from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th?

Thanks away

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Jerry
Is it happening when you are accelerating or letting off the gas, clutch out or pulled in?
Does it happen in neutral?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have experienced the 3rd-4th gear issue here is how I remedied it.

The type and weight of the engine oil you are using makes a difference for me, I use Cheveron Delo 400 LE SAE 15W-40 (non syn) which helps a lot with the 3rd-4th gear shifting.
Also pre-load the shifter just prior to pulling the clutch and then give a firm follow through on the shift.
Work on getting the engine RPM so that the load is off the drive shaft when you shift. Try this going down a hill and see if this make a difference.

Good Luck :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.