Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a weird dangerous problem. When arriving home one day I pulled up to my mailbox to get the mail. Put the trans. in neutral. I opened the mailbox and reached inside to get the mail. Without warning the bike lurched forward and snubbed out. I was able to keep it upright. This type of thing has happened before but rarely. Maybe once or twice a year.
A few days ago I was going to leave on my bike when I realized I left my glasses in the house. I put the bike in neutral again, and left it running as it was not warmed up yet. As I walked toward the house I heard a crash. Yup, there she laid like a dead elephant. I looked around for neighbors, half out of embarrassment and half hoping for help. Nobody around. I managed to pick the beast up. Luckily no damage.
Has any others had a similar experience? I know I should be checking the neutral light but to be honest I really can't say if it was on or not. The light is kind of ticklish. At times it takes 3 or 4 times shifting in to neutral before the light comes on.
I am betting the shifter was sitting at the top of the detent when I got off the bike. It could have jumped one way and went in to neutral, or go the other and go in to first. Kind of unnerving. Keeps you guessing.

·
Administrator
26,992 Posts
imported post

There is a detent arm on the shift drum with a spring that hold a roller in a notch to keep the drum in place for each position. I am guessing the spring is broken or disconnected. You will have to remove the front engine cover to get to it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.