Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there. I have a 1988 gl1500 and when under load or when letting off my transmission seems to have a loud high pitch howl. could it be my output shaft bearing? All my fluid levels are up.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
hey there. I have a 1988 gl1500 and when under load or when letting off my transmission seems to have a loud high pitch howl. could it be my output shaft bearing? All my fluid levels are up.
-Tires? (Especially for Dunlop E3's)
-Alternator bearing? (especially the rear)
-Alternator Rubber Dampeners

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i never thought to check the alternator as the noise only happens when bike is going down the road.no noises present when sitting idling or when revved up. much buddy could hear the noise while riding beside me on his bike.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Might also check the Tension to the timing belts... if they are too tight, then they tend to "sing" loudly at about 3k rpm

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
howling noise

Well after some searching and troubleshooting i found that my noise was coming from my final drive pinion shaft bearings. they are toast. it seems the vent cap on the differential had fallen off before i purchased the bike allowing moisture to get into differential and pitted the bearings. I picked up a used one from a 1994 on ebay for 30.00 and changed the whole thing in a couple of hours. sure is great to not have that sound any more. thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
12,685 Posts
Thank you for returning and posting the solution to your problem . I dont often hear of final drive problems other then the splines wearing from lack of Moly 60 . Glad you solved this and are back in the wind.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Mine has a howl also, in any gear below 2500rpm, once the engine gets over that it is quiet as a mouse. It sounds much like the "rollover noise" you hear in a truck transmission.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my bike has 110000 miles and the splines at the differential end were saturated with oil with no signs of wear ans the seal was like new the other end at the u joint was a little dry but showed little wear so i used lucas heavy duty wheel bearing and chassis lube on both ends. i will check condition every couple years so i used what i had.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
next project for me is progressive springs in the front end and new seals. any one know where springs are reasonable in price?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.