Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have noticed that my right side trunk latch is broken. It looks like it is missing the latch part that moves. Has anyone worked on one of these before? Whats the secret. I hope it is not a new trunk.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem. I bought a whole latch assembly off ebay for under $30.00 including shipping. Just removed screws disconnected rods, replaced with un-broken unit. I will look at my old one to see if there is anything in it you could use to repair yours.

NC

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

I had the same issue on both latches.The reinforcement in the upper trunk lid where the loop latches are attatched to both broke. I had a special decal on the trunk lid I could not replace. I bought a lid from Ebay and took the time to grind off the reinforcement in the ebay lid then ground off the broken one from the existing lid. I then used a two part plastic epoxy to glue it into place. It was tedious work but it worked great. You can't even tell it was replaced. Be patient in the removal of the reinforcement as not to grind thru the outter lid.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

DrifterTex wrote:
I have noticed that my right side trunk latch is broken. It looks like it is missing the latch part that moves. Has anyone worked on one of these before? Whats the secret. I hope it is not a new trunk.
> LOL, mine did same thing but on the Left side... Perhaps I can have your broken unit, to repair mine, when you're done with it?

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Yep, thats it. #43. Mine is on the right side if your standing at the trunk.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
imported post

Tex,
You are welcome to my old one it has a broken latch on the left side. I can remove the good latch and mail it to you IF you are certain you will repair yours.
Once you remove the assembly from the trunk you can use the good latch from my right side and put it on yours. The following is AFTER you have it out of the trunk.
You will have to remove one little screw then scrap off the top of a plastic retainer then you can remove the cover that keeps the latch in place and replace just the broken piece.
If you don't want to go to that much trouble you might try contacting these people. The link is to a completed eBay auction, if you scroll down you will see contact info.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-GOLDWING-GL1500-GL-1500-SE-TRUNK-LATCH-CATCH-MECHANISM-/170718573964?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item27bf9eb58c

NC

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks nc, I appreciate the offer but I think I will just purchase one on ebay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.