Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Picked up a trunk spoiler for my '96 GL1500A. It has a 4" wire coming out of it on the left with a connector. Where does this connect?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Depends on if it has more than two wires and whether or not it is supposed to be dual mode or not.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I think you are missing the loom that should be under the trunk lid liner, which goes down and connects under the saddle. If it isn't already under the liner, you can easily wire it up manually as it is only a 2 wire setup.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Depends on if it has more than two wires and whether or not it is supposed to be dual mode or not.
It's got two wires (black and black/yellow). How can I tell if its dual mode or not?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

What is it and where did you get it?

Some two wire units are made to be running lights and some only as brake lights. Then there are those that are both with a box that dims it for running and goes bright for brakes.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

GWNorman wrote:
I think you are missing the loom that should be under the trunk lid liner, which goes down and connects under the saddle. If it isn't already under the liner, you can easily wire it up manually as it is only a 2 wire setup.
Yes, nothing under the trunk lid to connect it to.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

We can take care of all of that.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Some two wire units are made to be running lights and some only as brake lights. Then there are those that are both with a box that dims it for running and goes bright for brakes.
I bought it off Ebay. All I know it that it came off a '95 GL1500. I "thought" it was OEM, but there are no markings or part number on it to cross-reference. Just took the light assembly out and the only thing there that I see is a label on the wiring harness saying "Assembled in Mexico".

Rudy wrote:
What you doing this weekend besides playing Santa?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I will call a breaker near here that might have a harness for it.
Sure would be nice of the breakers to include all the wiring to hook up the parts when the strip the bikes.
Did you contact the seller to see if he has it?

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

newday777 wrote:
I will call a breaker near here that might have a harness for it.
Sure would be nice of the breakers to include all the wiring to hook up the parts when the strip the bikes.
Did you contact the seller to see if he has it?
Good idea. No, haven't contacted him, but I will right now.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

jblack5 wrote:
Rudy wrote:
I bought it off Ebay. All I know it that it came off a '95 GL1500. I "thought" it was OEM, but there are no markings or part number on it to cross-reference. Just took the light assembly out and the only thing there that I see is a label on the wiring harness saying "Assembled in Mexico".

Rudy wrote:
What you doing this weekend besides playing Santa?
We do the grandkids Christmas Sat aft and evening but I should have Saturday morning till about 2pm and then all day Christmas available. Of course I think I do.

If I have to build you a dual mode controller that might take a little while but the wiring should be a piece of cake.

It hooks up to your running/brake lights and ground. We can get at that under the seat and down in the rear bottom of both the top box and the saddle boxes.

Wanna come see Santa and play a while?

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

Hey jblack5:waving:

The spoiler is from an SE model. They have the harness from the trunk to under the seat. There is actually two seperate harnesses. One connects to the spoiler and the other connects to it which runs down to under the seat. There is a connection (black) that looks like the one on the spoiler (or fits into the one on the spoiler). It is different than any other connection on the bike. Mine is located on the left side next to the frame rail near the trunk. It is a thick bundle of wire wrapped up and the connection should be empty. Post a pic of the area I just described and if it is there, I should be able to see it. If not, then visit Rudy and he can hook ya up!!

The light is called a High Mount Light SE. The parts you want are #'s 1 and 2.

[align=left]Rudy,[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]The easiest place to get the running, brake, ground is under the seat. I believe it is C84, but it is closest to the left side with the grn/yel, grn, brn wires. That is where I hooked up my flasher module/relay for my spoiler we made.[/align]
[align=left][/align]

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Snorebaby wrote:
Hey jblack5:waving:

The spoiler is from an SE model.  They have the harness from the trunk to under the seat.  There is actually two seperate harnesses.  One connects to the spoiler and the other connects to it which runs down to under the seat.  There is a connection (black) that looks like the one on the spoiler (or fits into the one on the spoiler).  It is different than any other connection on the bike.  Mine is located on the left side next to the frame rail near the trunk.  It is a thick bundle of wire wrapped up and the connection should be empty.   Post a pic of the area I just described and if it is there, I should be able to see it.  If not, then visit Rudy and he can hook ya up!!

The light is called a High Mount Light SE.  The parts you want are #'s 1 and 2. 
Hi Snorebaby! Thanks for the info. I poked around under the seat and found two capped-off connections inside the rubber boot (yellow arrow in the pic below). Is this one of those the connectors you're talking about? Happy Holidays to you and Snorebabe (and Hobo too, if he's still running with you guys).

- Jerry

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

Nope...them ain't it :sadguy:

It will be black and look like this (this isin the trunk but it is the same as under the seat)

If you don't have it...Rudy can make you a relay harness that will work. You can connect it to the C84 connector to get your running/brake wires.

Merry Christmas to your household!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.