Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Well I finally got my new 1998 engine guards to replace my 1989 version.

Can anyone tell me what procedure I should use to get access to where I can unbolt the old ones and bolt on the new ones?

I have a lift and I suspect that the turn lights panel in front of the bars needs to come off but I have no idea how to do that.

Any procedural advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

--
Rudy

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Well I finally got my new 1998 engine guards to replace my 1989 version.

Can anyone tell me what procedure I should use to get access to where I can unbolt the old ones and bolt on the new ones?

I have a lift and I suspect that the turn lights panel in front of the bars needs to come off but I have no idea how to do that.

Any procedural advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

--
Rudy
For starters you will need to take off the front and rear side covers,lower front cowl behind the front wheel, the panel just above it under the radiator, and the two lowers that contain the turning lights. Also remove the two metal panels on each side that cover the headers and muffler. The rear one has to be removed first to expose the aft most bolt for the front one. Becareful pulling the plastic to avoid breaking off the tabs. It sounds like a lot of work but it really isn't once you've done it, the next time will go very quickly, I can strip all that stuff off my bike in 20 minutes and get it back on in about the same time.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The later bars look more modern, even though they are a bit skimpy.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

The vast majority of things on the outsides of these bikes have a lot more to do with looks than with substance.

Bars are kind of an important function but if you can get looks and functionality, why not?

--
Rudy

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

The later bars might look skimpy, but they still do the job. And of couirse they make it easier to clean the camshaft covers. :waving:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.