Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having issues with my turn signal switch for some time. My switch would not stay on when I would use it, so I was resorting to holding it when signaling for a left or right turn. That gets difficult to do when you’re turning, and shifting. I have read a few posts about what to do, and I tried it all short of opening up the entire switch. Since I was going to have to open it up, I decided to take some pix and hopefully help out some others that are having switch problems.

After removing the 2 bolts from underneath the switch unit, you have access to the innards.

This is the lower portion that you will be performing surgery on. If you can remove your left grip, it will make things easier.

This is what the top portion of the controls look like for the folks that need to open those up.

After removing the inside cover plate, you will have access to the switch. From this point, the parts are small, so working inside a plastic bag can help. There are 2 ball bearings that will look for any opportunity to have you crawling on the ground and play hide and seek.

This plate has contacts on it. Be careful not to bend the 2 tabs.

Carefully lift the next part out. Under the brass clip at the top is where the spring and bearings are.

When you remove the brass clip, you will find the spring. The spring in the pic is a ball point pen spring I tried to use. It does not work using the pen spring alone.[/b] I had to open the hole slightly to get the pen spring to fit inside, then I had to shorten the spring to get it inside the housing.

Here are the parts from inside the switch. I carefully cleaned the 18 years of gunk of each component, then sprayed it with lubricated electrical cleaner. The dime is for reference, there should not be one inside the switch. The small spring was broken, so I applied a little solder to it. It allows the spring to function, but I put it inside the other spring to help it out. I didn’t get a picture of that, because when it went together and worked, I was not going to take it apart again.

Here is the OEM spring before I soldered it back together.

Here it is all back together. I recommend you make sure the choke cable is reattached before you close things up. It gets easier each time you open things up.

Good luck with your repairs, and Ride Safe.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
imported post

Thanks for this post it was great timing. I've had a small problem with dirt in my switch lately and it's a big help to see how all the bits work.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thank You all for the good words. I have seen that many people have questions, and it's hard to picture when someone explains it. My next step is the right side controls.

Rich
Ride Safe

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Mods should add this to the Tech Posts A-Z

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Hi,

Any possibility of getting the photo links fixed in this post??

Thanks for your time!

·
Administrator
24,407 Posts
Hi,

Any possibility of getting the photo links fixed in this post??

Thanks for your time!
The post is too old, forum has gone through changes and things have been lost.

·
Administrator
57,510 Posts
I can move it to the FAQs easily and will do so.

but, as Dave said, the forum has changed software and servers twice since that was written.

and we now have a much better IT team taking care of us.... in future, such things won't be getting lost.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was really aiming the inquiry at the original poster and due to some very strange forum rules I am not allowed to send a PM to him because I do not choose to post.
But thanks for letting me know that he does not still have access to those pics... or wait do you actually know he does not or are you just posting so you can PM more people?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.