Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anyone have thoughts on how to keep the turn signals flashing 2-3 times longer than they do? I find it particularly annoying that they self-cancel, long before I'm in a position to have made a turn...

Thanx...

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

Looked it up in all my books and all they say is how to check it and how to repair it nothing about how to change the timing....

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I just got in the habit of pushing it again after about 5-8 seconds. Yeah, you have to push it once maybe twice like on an off ramp, but once you are stopped it stays blinking until you make the "lean" to turn them off.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I got the bit about having to push the switch multiple times... Just annoying as heck...:rollingeyes:

Maybe I can find a way to defeat that damned switch, and get the lean or turn canceling switch to handle turning it back off. Guess it's time to drag out the FSM, and see how it's wired.:readit:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It shouldn't be too hard to disconnect the time out. Nominally the timing allows eight seconds before it shuts off the turns ignals unless the bike is stopped during that period. Once you're not moving the turn signals shouldn't cancel if all is working as it should.

There's a white/black wire coming out of theSpeed Pulsergoing to the Turn Signal Cancel Control Unit which is the speed signal output line. If you interrupt that wire at the input of the TS control unit that will stop the speed input to the TSCCU and should prevent the cancelling unit from shutting off the turn signals when moving. It should look to the TSCCU that the bike is stopped. I'm not positive whether the input needs a positive voltage, ground or just disconnecton that wire to make the TSCCU keep the signals on. It looks like just disconnecting that wire will do the job since the speed pulser sends a pulsingvoltage to the TSCCU to tell it the bike is moving.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

exavid wrote:
It shouldn't be too hard to disconnect the time out. Nominally the timing allows eight seconds before it shuts off the turns ignals unless the bike is stopped during that period. Once you're not moving the turn signals shouldn't cancel if all is working as it should.

There's a white/black wire coming out of theSpeed Pulsergoing to the Turn Signal Cancel Control Unit which is the speed signal output line. If you interrupt that wire at the input of the TS control unit that will stop the speed input to the TSCCU and should prevent the cancelling unit from shutting off the turn signals when moving. It should look to the TSCCU that the bike is stopped. I'm not positive whether the input needs a positive voltage, ground or just disconnecton that wire to make the TSCCU keep the signals on. It looks like just disconnecting that wire will do the job since the speed pulser sends a pulsingvoltage to the TSCCU to tell it the bike is moving.
I found the same information from the FSM and it's wiring diagrams. As you indicated, it appears one could simply snip the wire from the speed sensor, and that should tell the timer the vehicle is stopped and thus the signals should continue to function until either the turn indicator cancels them, or they are canceled manually... Which is EXACTLY what I'm hoping will happen when I cut that wire today....

chris in VA wrote:
Was the first thing I disconnected on my 83. Very annoying.
Would be appreciated if you could share whether you simply cut the speed sensor wire to the timer, or disabled this annoyance in some other manner...

Thanx to all for your interest and thoughts...;)

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
imported post

Please... let me know if that works...hate it too...

maybe a pic or description so I don't cut the wrong wire...Thank you...

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
imported post

I actually got pulled by the Hippy Patrol last summer comming off I-77 in Rock Hill for not using proper turn signals. I had it on when I got on the Off Ramp but it shut off before my turn at the bottom of the ramp. I was too busy watching traffic and forgot to click it again and next thing I heard was "Whoop Whoop!" Damn! He let me explain what happened and then checked my Lic. and Reg and let me go.

Sooo, If that works let me know, I want it to be manual if pssible.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Got the white with black tracer wire disconnected from the Turn Signal Cancel Control Unit and took a check ride a few minutes ago before I buttoned it all back up.

System is now FULL manual operation, meaning you turn it on and you turn it off... No more timed cancellation, and no more after a turn auto cancellation.

Started by removing the screws which secure the brake front brake hoses and shield covering the lower end of the TSCCU to the forks.

Lower mounting of the TSCCU exposed. Next removed the two mounting screws for the TSCCU, and the one for the "turn actuating arm".

Next went up top, and removed the center two covers that snap over the center portion of the handle bar, to expose the wiring leading into the TSCCU, which is itself located inside the steering head tube.

Next loosened the zip-tie clamp on the wiring bundle

Then moved the harnesses away from the TSCCU harness, and soaped the rubber plug/cover on the TSCCU harness that seals to the steering head tube, so it could be moved up and away allowing the TSCCU to drop out the bottom and provide access to the connector.

Here's where they placed the connector...:shock: Why this connector is mounted down inside this tube instead of in a location that does not require one to remove all this crap is WAY beyond my comprehension... could just as easily have been mounted outside the head tube, for access to allow diagnosis, etc...:whip:

Here is the TSCCU, which removes from the bottom...

Using a very small jewelers screwdriver to bend the female terminal lock tabs in, I slipped the female terminal out of the connector body. NOTE: The white with black tracer wire is the one which the FSM indicates supplies speed signal to the TSCCU.

Then I sliced the sheathing sufficiently to allow me to tuck the terminal back into the sheathing on the TSCCU pigtail...

Finally, buttoned it up enough to take a ride, and it is now FULL MANUAL operation...

Would have been nice to have the auto-turn function working, but not at the expense of it going off while going straight down the road...

Hope this info helps those of you who want to do something about your auto-cancel timer function...;)

PS: while it may have been faster to simply cut into the harness above the head tube, and cut the whit with black tracer wire, I prefer to do this type of "modifications, without resorting to "surgical alterations" of the wiring....:cool: Who knows, the next owner may decide he WANTS this function to work...:coollep:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'm wondering why the turn cancellation switch in the steering head isn't cancelling after a turn. It didn't look like removing the speed sensor lead would interfer with that.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

exavid wrote:
I'm wondering why the turn cancellation switch in the steering head isn't cancelling after a turn. It didn't look like removing the speed sensor lead would interfer with that.
I thought the same thing, and was initially a little disappointed by that...

HOWEVER, I MUCH prefer this over what I had previously, as there are many times when turning off the highway near my home, that I am WAY too busy watching traffic (from both ahead and behind) to be continually worrying about whether that stupid turn signal has shut itself off again...:lash:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I thought about disactivating the time out on the turn signals on my 1500 but ended up leaving it alone and I'll probably leave it alone in my 1800. The main reason I was going to do it was my Silverwing has manual turn signals and sometimes when I ride that after being on the big wing I forget to turn the blinkers off. Lately I seem to have gotten used to changing from one to the other and remembering to shut the scooter signals off after a turn, once an old dog learns a new trick he really doesn't want it to change again.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Updated post above with photos and description of what I encountered...;)

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
imported post

Thank you...another easy fix...if you know how...

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Wait a minute..... I gotta write this down to my list........OK, Thanks!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Ilike the the way youdisconnected the wire ob1jeeper, so many people just hack away with a pair of dikes making it hard to return to original configuration after modifications.

After looking at your pictures and checking the Honda service manual I can now see why the angle sensor input no longer shut off the signals as the handlebar straightens out following a turn. The angle sensor in the 1500 also incorporates the solid state Turn Signal Cancel Control Unit.

In earlier models at least on the 1100 the angle sensor is simply a switch, nothing more. Looking at some of the parts lists it looks like the solid state TSCCU was introducedin the GL1200. I didn't realize the timer unit was part of the angle sensor. Luckily it really didn't make much difference looking at the schematic since disconnecting the speed sensor wire did the job. Looking at the prices of those angle sensors you can see they changed it in the 1200. On the 1100 the switch used to be priced at $60 on later bikes nearly $200.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

exavid wrote:
After looking at your pictures and checking the Honda service manual I can now see why the angle sensor input no longer shut off the signals as the handlebar straightens out following a turn. The angle sensor in the 1500 also incorporates the solid state Turn Signal Cancel Control Unit.

In earlier models at least on the 1100 the angle sensor is simply a switch, nothing more. Looking at some of the parts lists it looks like the solid state TSCCU was introducedin the GL1200. I didn't realize the timer unit was part of the angle sensor. Luckily it really didn't make much difference looking at the schematic since disconnecting the speed sensor wire did the job. Looking at the prices of those angle sensors you can see they changed it in the 1200. On the 1100 the switch used to be priced at $60 on later bikes nearly $200.
I saw in the Honda FSM manual and wiring diagrams, that the TSCCU was a solid state device, and figured there would be more affected than just the auto canceling timer...

AND... while I'm pleased to have fixed the early time-out issue and cool with what it is, if I can find an inexpensive and simple to install pulse generator to feed it a significantly slowed 0-10v pulse (like 1-2 pulses per second instead of the eight it is expecting to see), I may try that, to see if I am able to re-activate the turn canceling feature only...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Shouldn't be difficult to get a counter chip from Radio Shack, a decade counter or a ripple counter ought to be able to do the job of reducing the count frequency to extend the timer run.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.