Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
big PIA
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have my new to me bike it is time to find out why turn signals don't cancel. Shouldn't they cancel when you depress the turn switch also? if so that does nothing.
Tonite is 1st time driving a car since I got the bike home, had grandkids with me and had no choice:frown2::crying2:

·
big PIA
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The service manual that came with bike is Clymers, rather than search it I will use the advice I get from the great gents here

·
big PIA
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another question I have is , My bike has the rear speaker housings but no speakers, don't see any wires back there for them either. Would it be hard to put some in?

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
I'm not familiar with your year Goldwing but if pressing the switch is supposed to cancel the turn signal, then a switch disassembly is in order. My wife's 2002 VT750 had that problem. I took the switch apart, cleaned and re-lubed it and voila.....The older bikes though, you had to push the switch back to neutral (my 70 and 75 are that way)

·
Premium Member
5,732 Posts
The turn signals should self cancel after a certain amount of time going straight. They should cancel shortly after a turn and they should cancel when you push the button in immediately. (That is pushing it straight in) Did you try pushing the switch back to center. Can you feel the spring when you push the switch in? Can you feel the detent (click) when you center the switch?

·
big PIA
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as turn signal cancel, does it have other ways it should cancel, timed speed or such? they don't cancel at all unless I push switch towards other direction a little to stop it

·
big PIA
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Redwing was answering that question as I was typing, no they don't cancel unless I do it manually, They recenter right after I turn signal on and pushing the button straight in does nothing

·
Premium Member
5,732 Posts
Were it me I would check the switch first. I think it is the most likely issue. Also it is the easiest to do. When you get inside you should find a pink wire. The chain of events that happen are fairly complex. The thing is that when the pink wire is grounded theat initiates the turn light sequence. The pink wire should only be grounded while you are in the act of pushing the button left or right. If you release the push button the ground signal should be gone from the pink wire. It must be gone or the only way you can turn the lighhts off will be by shifting the button slightly the other way. Just as you describe. In a nutshell the pink wire turns on the turn lights. The switch left or right determines the direction. If you find the pink wire is grounded all the time you found the issue. Now you have to check back to find the cure if you don't see anything in the turn light switch. I kind of bet the pink will be grounded all the time????????

·
1,615 Posts
In the center of the switch lever is a small spring pressing a small ball forward . If this spring is broken (not uncommon) it will cause the problems you descripe .
A temporary fix could be to turn both the broken parts of this spring around and reassemble .

·
big PIA
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took switch apart but did not see a pink wire, how far apart do I need to take it? I took screw out and was about to pull the external switch out but did not see what you are talking about, turn signal cancel unit seems fine so trying to figure out the switch. The switch can cause all the problems of not cancelling can't it?
Was pain getting to insides of switch because of the choke cable

·
big PIA
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think I took switch apart far enough then, don't remember that part. I did not pull the actual switch that you slide 1 side to other. I thought when you pushed button in that it would put the switch itself back to cent but it didn't. It stayed to which ever side you pushed it to

·
big PIA
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it was a pain just taking it down as far as I did, guess I am gong to try again in a few min. So pushing the button doe not reset switch I take it? or does it use that wire to electronically to reset it? Still learning here, sorry for not understanding it

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.